Low TA, high pH - what do I tackle first?

Ribduc

Apr 8, 2017
Houston TX
Greetings and thanks! The brain trust on this site has already improved our pool care tremendously. I've been testing consistently for the last week or two, and this is generally what I'm seeing:

FC - 5.2
CC - 0 or 0.2
pH - 7.8
TA - 50
CH - 250
CYA - 40
Temperature - about 73 and warming

Overall, the water looks and smells pretty good, and the jets are flowing freely. We run the pump for 6 hours per day, and run the 3 sheer descent waterfalls (which aren't sheer any more, but that's a separate issue) for an hour per day. The spa has a spillover into the pool, so there's a fair amount of aeration that goes on, which I think might be raising the pH.

So, should I add baking soda first to get the TA up, then add acid to adjust pH? or vice versa? Or does it not matter what order I do this?

Should I shut off the sheer descents for a while to try to keep pH lower? I'm a little skittish about working with acid. Is there some natural force like sunlight or evaporation that will drive the pH lower, or does that only happen when acid is added?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.