Suggestions for new filter on well water??

jahyde

Apr 7, 2017
San Diego, CA
My cartridge filter has worn me out, originally I had DE, it worked great, but it rusted out... and silly me took tips from a couple of pool boys and the dimwits at the distributor counter and switched to cartridge - those people are just lazy, they say "its great, when the cartridge gets dirty you just throw it away".

I live on a high traffic dirt road, heavy pine pollen, and fill from a nasty calcium well - the water is rough!!! I'm tired of cleaning and cant afford to trash 3-4 cartridges per year.

I am 90% set on a new DE filter, trying to find something near $500, ideally a 36ft, any recommendations? Was looking at the Hayward Progrid, but by the time I add a valve its well over $700, a bit more than I was hoping (busy dumping $$$$ down the deeper hole in the ground).

I have a 12.5k IG plaster pool. My dad was a pool guy, so I have done 100% of my own maintenance for the last 25 years, including the equipment. I have a Superior account and PEP... although I would probably just buy online for a better price and not having to deal with the goons.

On a side note... I am considering a zeo filter combo at the well, maybe it will help in pre-softening. I would probably never use a conventional softener, it would just get trashed too fast.

Hi. Cartridge filters are not to be thrown away when dirty. You simply hose them off and put them back in place. With a pool your size I'd assume you have one cartridge (should take 10-15 min start to finish). Stay as far away from that pool place as possible. My advice is to save the $700 and clean your filters 3 to 4 times per year. Eventually the cartridges will not clean well and need to be replaced but you should get a couple of years out of them.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Have you considered a sand filter for your pool?

We can discuss the zeo later but you would throw your money away looking for it to remove CH.

I think he just means a Zeolite exchange bed at the well for softening. Reading your post, I thought Sand right away, but with that much pool stuff in your past, no doubt you have too.

Very dusty and dirty here too, with lots of tree trash. I nearly did DE, but I am very, very happy I went Sand.

Oh yes, Welcome to TFP!

ok, thanks for the encouragement towards sand, I was really considering it, but scared it would not be as good as the DE I had before which was really low maintenance, and simply kept it clean... the tank just didnt want to hold after 30 years. I will look in to some sand options, any recommendations, such as the Sand Dollar or Haywards?

I buy a new cartridge once a year, I clean my cartridge about every 6-8 weeks from March-Sept, as long as there are no major incidents, this amount of cleaning wears it out. This winter 2 major storms brought a lot of sand in the pool, and it just has not caught up since... and I am not about to buy another cartridge right now because I know it will be short lived.

My well needs a new storage tank, and I am considering some sort of tiered system with a small sand tank gravity feeding to the storage tank, and then some carbon/UV at the house. It has a deep pump > 3k storage tank > pressure pump > 85 gal pre-charged bladder tank.

So I am thinking a 24" sand filter, that should give me a 4 hour turnover... I have read the zeo is overhyped, and once it gets dirty it filters the same as sand. Should I avoid it altogether, or is it worth a try for my pool? If it softens my water even 10% I think it is worth it to me.

Definitely avoid zeo, lots of folks with poor experience with it over the years. And sand works great. Just be sure to get #20 silica sand for a pool filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.