Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Results

We got our pump up and running, the water is pretty clear, had several inches of rain last week, so here are my test results. Not sure where to go from here?
    FC - 0
    PH - 7.7
    TA - 80
    CH - 125
    CYA- 50
    CC - 0
    AG Doughboy 16x28', Opened June 2016
    Aquaview 20" filter w 7 position valve
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test Results

T,

Check out this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...art-slam-shock

If you look for your CYA level, you will see that you should have an FC of about 7 ppm. The absolute lowest FC you should ever allow your pool to get to is 4 ppm.

You are at zero... you need to add Liquid Chlorine / Plain Bleach now! Unless of course you like green algae colored pools..

For now, all your other numbers look good..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's that simple? I'll get the bleach going then. After 5 plus inches of rainwater and 12" of filling with the hose, I thought it would be a lot more work. I was surprised at the readings. My first spring opening after using the TFP method last summer and closing. ��

- - - Updated - - -

I only checked Walmart for the chlorine, they have two gallons in a crate, a little easier to handle. Prices are high still at $6.44, for 10% chlorine bleach.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

T,

Yes.. That simple...

The key is to test a few times a week so that you can keep it simple.

Have you used pool math before? Enter your pool size and then what your readings are now and what you want them to be.

For example, if you enter your pool size and then zero under current FC and enter 7 under target FC, pool math will tell you how much 10% chlorine/bleach to add to get from 0 to 7 ppm.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I used pool math last year. It's just mind boggling that the pool was covered all winter ( opened it to pretty much clear water, and a few leaves, thanks to TFP!) and all I had to do was add a gallon of bleach to start it up. I figured I'd at least have to add stabilizer. Thank you for your help, Jim R.
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

T,

Yep, that is how it is supposed to work...

If you close after the water temp gets lower than 60 and open before the water temp gets above 60, not much can grow in there.

Good job...

Jim R.