Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doheny's Discovey vs Dolphin Quantum

1. Back To Top    #1

Doheny's Discovey vs Dolphin Quantum

I'm in the market for a new cleaner. Does any know if the Discovery and Quantum are the same? Both models appear to be new for 2017. The Doheny's a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doheny's Discovey vs Dolphin Quantum

Welcome Dave!

I'm not sure, but our Moderator poolDV does. He knows everything there is to know about these cleaners, and I'm sure he will be along shortly.

You'll love a Robot though, that is almost certain. Hope you enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Dave,

I think it sits somewhere inbetween the S200 and S300.

It even has its own website:

All New Quantum Robotic Pool Cleaner | Dolphin Quantum

4. Back To Top    #4

The quantum and discovery were released during 2016

As far as I can tell ............
    The Quantum is nearer a relative to the Dolphin S300 in features
    The Discovery is nearer a relative to the Dolphin Nautilus or Nautilus Plus in features

here is a review of the quantum from a TFPer
    Maytronics Dolphin Quantum / s300 / s300i

Here is one for the Discovery
    First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Plenty of information about these cleaners in both threads.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to all. I have a lazy l that I'm having a new liner put in. The Dolphin diagnostic finally bet the dust. Leaning towards the Doheny.

6. Back To Top    #6

The Discovery is the same as the s200 and the Dolphin Triton. The S300 is the same as the Triton Plus, Doheny's doesn't have an S300 version.

The Quantum looks to me like an updated S200/Discovery/Triton. The thing that differentiates S200 vs S300 is Bluetooth control and programming options. They are the same cleaner.

The quantum looks to have updated programming for more complete pool coverage, but that isn't a problem with mine. It also looks to be lighter and more energy efficient, also not an issue with mine. I would buy the Discovery and save the 200 bucks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The Discovery is the same as the s200 and the Dolphin Triton. The S300 is the same as the Triton Plus, Doheny's doesn't have an S300 version.

The Quantum looks to me like an updated S200/Discovery/Triton. The thing that differentiates S200 vs S300 is Bluetooth control and programming options. They are the same cleaner.

The quantum looks to have updated programming for more complete pool coverage, but that isn't a problem with mine. It also looks to be lighter and more energy efficient, also not an issue with mine. I would buy the Discovery and save the 200 bucks.
    After doing a little research, I'm going to side with you. This Quantum is a re-skinned S200 , Active 20, Doheny Discovery and triton Plus. I'm going one step further and saying that there is no new programming, or new features. All that is new is probably a new employee in the marketing department with fresh degree in English lit. Big words like 3d jets and Nav 2.0 don'the fool me. Get the cheapest itteration of these cleaners that you can find (that $499 refurbished Active 20 comes to mind) and enjoy.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

The refurb Active 20 seems to be $549 now but it's most likely due to seasonal increase which seems consistent.

Our pool- (Completed March 2009)
    20k gallons, 38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2x1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 w/ Hayward booster pump, Pentair Prowler 920, DIY Stenner Chlorinator

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Mine is "Certified Pre-Owned" not merely refurbished!

KS could be right. They clearly do spend a lot of time marketing them.

I'd pay $100-$200 more for a third brush but not the items discussed.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

The quantum is marketing. Expensive marketing at that. I wouldn't go for the refurb myself as its only one year of warranty.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I'm no Apple fanboy but Dolphin could learn a thing or two from them in terms of simplifying their product line. My head hurts from trying to understand all the models and lines.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL!! No doubt! Their motivation is to try to protect multiple sales channels while only having to make a few different products. A good plan if it works. But, difficult for those of us trying to decipher it!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

And you know what, it only confuses the consumer and makes it harder to understand the features from one model to the next.
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
    I'm no Apple fanboy but Dolphin could learn a thing or two from them in terms of simplifying their product line. My head hurts from trying to understand all the models and lines.
    Agree 100%. way too many different models and most of them are near duplicates. Also very hard to tell which is the latest models.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    After doing a little research, I'm going to side with you. This Quantum is a re-skinned S200 , Active 20, Doheny Discovery and triton Plus. I'm going one step further and saying that there is no new programming, or new features. All that is new is probably a new employee in the marketing department with fresh degree in English lit. Big words like 3d jets and Nav 2.0 don'the fool me. Get the cheapest itteration of these cleaners that you can find (that $499 refurbished Active 20 comes to mind) and enjoy.
    Where did you find active 20 for 499?
    15.5k Gallons
    Florida Stucco interior
    Hayward Maxflo VS pump
    Hayward C200s filter

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Doheny's Discovey vs Dolphin Quantum

Last spring poolpartz.com had that deal on a refurb. It is $699 currently.

Though I certainly wouldn’t buy a refurb for $699 when the Discovery (same robot) is $720 at doheny.com.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!