Pool Math........The App

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Microsoft

If you have a Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook email account it will work (Google+ or Microsoft). If you don't already have one, create a new email acccount at one of the free services listed and use it to log in.

Hi there, I'm going to try and explain our decision on the cloud syncing a bit, and how it works. I definitely can appreciate the concern for data security and control, so I'm happy to be transparent about how this works and what we're using.

First of all, the data is stored locally. You can use the app in airplane mode, the data is always kept on the device, in a local database. If you never connected your device to the internet, your data would always still be there on that device. One of the next features which I've already started working on is the ability to Export and Import your data, as I believe it's important that you ultimately control your data. We aren't trying to own your data, just make it convenient.

We use a technology called Realm (for those interested, Realm: Create reactive mobile apps in a fraction of the time ) to implement the cloud syncing and syncing between devices. Each user login is associated with its own Realm (or database) locally, which gets synchronized to the cloud (hosted in Microsoft Azure), so it's not one big database, it's actually many small databases.

Early on, actually before we settled on using Realm, we decided that the lowest friction way to implement cloud sync would be to automatically provide it for everyone. This minimizes the chance of data conflicts if a user installs the app on multiple devices, and it also reduces the number of first time run paths when we add in some sort of payment/subscription for the app. I think it's fair to say we would consider adding the ability to opt-out of cloud sync in the future. It's certainly possible, it's just not what most users are going to want or expect, and we feel it's not the best use of development effort at this point in time.

I appreciate that you realize you're probably in the minority here, and unfortunately I think that's true. I don't want to sound dismissive of your request, so we'll definitely log this as a feature request for future versions of the app (we have an internal bug/feature tracking board). I'm all for giving users the choice, but like I said, in this case specifically, it's not as high priority as other things such as adding import/export and graphs/charts.

Thanks for your feedback!

Appreciate the detail. Just spitballing here, but I'm guessing you are making all the calculations locally, writing to the db, and then calling the realm sync engine? Or possibly the realm sync engine is always watching the db? If it's the former, then couldn't you just add an option not to call the sync sub?

Anyway, let me know when it goes offline and I'm onboard. Please post it as an announcement if you can. I'd even throw in a few $ if you start a feature bounty for it.

I'm also happy to help with export/import if i can be of assistance, guessing you are looking at comma delimited so you could import back in to either Gsheets or excel?

Thanks! Just joined. I did notice the FC range for plaster SWG pool seemed off compared to the Pool Math web site. Is reporting bleach range instead of SWG (5-7).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving this app, thank you.

How many users have only one device? Likely less than you'd think. We want the user to log their data on their iPad at the table then use their phone to calculate how much bleach to add by the pool. We want you to use a huge screen to view your data. All this is really only possible by saving the data outside of your device.

This is exactly what Ive done. Ive got it on two devices, now, wasn't hard, in metric and over two pools, may add two more. It's great. Have an iPad I play with at home and an ancient iPhone 5s I take to the pool using off line.

One improvement or addition that may help is a 'pool tittle' on the logs page for those with multiple pools. The small screen on the iPhone hides the 'pools' list that is always visible on the larger screen. The overview page does include a 'pool title'.

And I have noticed that within the overview page my set target is not being stored, it defaults back to the app set targets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Loving this app, thank you.

One improvement or addition that may help is a 'pool tittle' on the logs page for those with multiple pools. The small screen on the iPhone hides the 'pools' list that is always visible on the larger screen. The overview page does include a 'pool title'.
I'll log this and see how difficult it will be to setup.

And I have noticed that within the overview page my set target is not being stored, it defaults back to the app set targets.
By any chance did you change your CYA level? If so, it's set to automatically update your target to a new level.

I'll log this and see how difficult it will be to setup.

By any chance did you change your CYA level? If so, it's set to automatically update your target to a new level.

I kind of thought that, that the FC target is linked to the current CYA. If I adjust up my current CYA to 70ppm the FC target will jump from 4ppm to 5ppm which works I guess but my target is 5ppm FC with a 70ppm target for CYA and although I added a little CYA to bring it up to 70ppm the historical value at the time was 60ppm not 70ppm and I need to recall were it was rather than where it was adjusted to.

But probably more important is my pH. It always defaults to a pH target of 7.4 but my default target is 7.6.

And the default CH is 350 but I would like to use 300 as it always slowly rises.

" We want the user to log their data on their iPad at the table then use their phone to calculate how much bleach to add by the pool. We want you to use a huge screen to view your data. All this is really only possible by saving the data outside of your device."
***************************************************************************************
Is this what you'd like us to being now as testers? I d/l already to my iPhone and the invite won't let me d/l again to my iPad.

I agree with your wanting to eliminate the administrative burden of resetting lost passwords. Thank you for clearly explaining it. I was not aware of the issue and burden. For the different ways of having an account (Facebook, gmail, etc.), do you know if they'll be able to target ads using our input? I doubt there's anything you can do about it, but my first thought was "here's another thing Facebook knows about me".

Have you installed TestFlight on the iPad? If not, try that. The App should be able to be downloaded on your iPad via TestFlight. This will change once we submit the App for full approval and get into the Apple App Store. For now we're doing it this way simply because we're still testing things out.

Have you installed TestFlight on the iPad? If not, try that. The App should be able to be downloaded on your iPad via TestFlight. This will change once we submit the App for full approval and get into the Apple App Store. For now we're doing it this way simply because we're still testing things out.
Thanks. Thought I needed to use email link, but was able to d/l TestFlight and install TFP app. I then promptly used the wrong social login account and am trying to reinstall with proper a/c.

It appears the second update has helped many as the comments seemed to have slowed down some. There's still a TON of room for new features but we wanted to get the App mostly error free and easy to use before moving on. We are deleting tests and syncing are still somewhat buggy and it's something that's being worked on. Besides those issues, is anybody else having issues? If so please email us at [email protected]

For new users looking to download please visit Here for instructions on how to download the App.

Yes, SWG input into pool. My CYA level is currently 30, it correctly shows a 70 ppm target. But FC range shows 3.0 to 4.0 instead of tArget of 7.0 like web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, most likely it is using a percentage of CYA based on formulas for SWG with CYA at 70-80. When outside of recommended CYA level for SWG I would recommend using the non-SWG chart for setting FC level, which is 4-6. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I'll see if we can come up with a better formula for SWG when below recommended CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.