Pool Math........The App

Hey Lee,
Just wanted to let you know the forced screen on feature worked perfect! Did a full battery of tests tonight. Felt like the entire process went faster too since I wasn't having to try to beat the clock in touching the screen every few seconds to keep it alive.

Keep up the great work!

Jason

$8/year? No thank you

If you've used PoolMath here on the site, any idea how much you've saved in chemicals over time? :)

This is my first year with a somewhat large pool and this site has been invaluable for me. I've easily saved over $60 in chemicals alone so far this season and it would have been closer to $90 had I not used some of the chemicals in the first place. That's 10 years worth of subscription.

Everyone should do what they think is right for them though. Hopefully your pool continues to be trouble free!

$8/year? No thank you

We can sit here for days discussing the price and what it should be. At the end of that discussion we’ll come to an agreement that there will be those users who find $8 a year value out of this project and there will be those who don’t. We respect both sides of that argument. We’ve worked hard to make sure the core part of the App needed to maintain a users pool remained free and have made updates to the App since launch to make using the program easier for free users. That said, rather than discussing why we should or shouldn’t charge I’d like to update all on one way we’re using some of the funds earned from the subscriptions.

Part of each subscription to PoolMath comes back to TFP and put into the forums maintenance fund. This is used to keep TFP Ad free and is used to fund additional projects in the future. One example of this is how TFP is working towards correcting broken photos following PhotoBuckets decision to block hot-linked images. PhotoBuckets decision to block photos on 3rd party sites have left TFP with thousands of “hidden” photos. Clearly this has upset many TFP users and will continue to upset users in the future. To address this issue TFP has been able to download a portion of these blocked photos and archive them on our servers. I am actively working to archive as many of these photos in various threads as I can. This is causing TFP to update its resources and is being funded by subscriptions from this App as well as donations from our supporters.

We are working very hard to keep up with the growth of the forum and address unexpected expenses that may arise. We greatly thank those who have donated to TFP or have subscribed to PoolMath. Each of you have allowed us to teach thousands of individuals around the world how to maintain a Trouble Free Pool.

There are those that are happy to pay $800 for a new phone, but balk at $8 for an app. Spend $50,000 on a new pool, but balk at $75 for a test kit. Spend $400 at the pool store, but when shown the better, cheaper way, they never donate anything to help support the site. That's just how some people are.

$8/year is really not a bad price considering what you save by using it. That's what, the cost of going out to eat at McDonald's once? I currently use a different app to keep track of my pool, but I still plan to keep my subscription because its for a good reason. Also, Leebo, thanks for giving us some insight into what that money's being used for. Fixing Photobucket's terrible decision is a great thing to do, and also must be a real pain in the rear considering all the photos I've seen on here that now display that error message.

Also, as a feature request, I'd think it'd be great if the PoolMath website could tie into the database used for the mobile app's logs so you can see and record your logs from a computer too.

Last edited:
LoL It’s funny as I was reading your comment I had even read “decision.”

We are actively looking at various ways to bring the features of Pool Math to the desktop in the future. Thanks for the suggestion and for your support! Right now our priority is getting the stability back into the App after the disaster of the mass launch. With the last launch we’ve got login/sync occurring faster (but not as fast as we’d like) and crashes greatly reduced. So far in the last iOS build we’ve seen 3 crashes with over 98% of users never seeing a crash. We’ve got one more update on its way to fix some final items before moving onto additional features.

Remember, ratings reset after each new update so please visit the App Store and update your rating. It helps out a TON!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lee,

Just started using the paid version a week ago to get the backup/sync benefit. Can you tell me how this feature works? How do I import? Or does this happen automatically?

I find the price very reasonable for what I'm getting... about the same as I pay for my golf app that has more capability but I'm sure the market is huge compared to your app at this early stage.

Thanks so much for doing this! It works flawlessly on my old Samsung Note 3.

Chris

Downloaded it about an hour ago and upgraded before i even looked at the app. Logged about 15 previous tests and i love it already! One request i have is tds. I now its not really tfp test but i test tds at work and home and like to compare it to other things. So thanks guys for putting out the app and I'm android by the way and please add tds. Thanks!

Downloaded it about an hour ago and upgraded before i even looked at the app. Logged about 15 previous tests and i love it already! One request i have is tds. I now its not really tfp test but i test tds at work and home and like to compare it to other things. So thanks guys for putting out the app and I'm android by the way and please add tds. Thanks!

TDS could be a calculated field. If you know your salt level, CH, CYA, etc., then TDS is just a simple sum of those things (with corrections for ionic charge). Not to hard to do....

But if you get TDS, then I get phosphates!!! I asked first [emoji35]

Are you on the Leslie's phos-free program?

PhosFree is the light-beer of PO4 removers. I only use commercial grade products (SeaKlear). Since my input sources are minimal, I can treat once per year and keep my PO4 levels well below 500ppb the entire year. I usually treat once per year during my spring tear down of my DE filter. That way I'm assured that any phosphate precipitates are flushed out of my filter. A 32fl-oz bottle costs me $40 and all I need is 8oz per year to treat. $10 per year is cheap insurance to maintain minimal phosphates.

Now if I could only lower my nitrates to zero :scratch:

It's always tricky as there's a thin line between adding too much and not enough options. On one hand you may have a TON of options that makes things difficult for new users verses not enough options which frustrates older "trained" users. Clearly we haven't hit that sweet spot just yet. There are hundreds of different options we could add to the tracker but we'll never likely cover everything. We're looking at various options to allow the user to customize items more while still being able to utilize graphs/addition trackers that we've got planned for future updates. We're not sure the perfect answer to these various requests.......but they're in our mind as we go.

I'm still hoping for the current Julian date to appear on the bleach price comparison page. That should be the a simple addition that lots of folks would use.

We've ran into a roadblock with the Julian dates as it turns out the "codes" that we're used to on the bleach bottles are not universally standard like we thought they were. We've found different codes on various bottles of bleach from Canada and Europe that we're working on decoding now. Additionally we're working to correct the issue some members are having when they attempt to use the comma for a decimal point. Right now Jon has a fix for iOS and is working on fixing the crash on Android. This error is making the App un-useable for several users as it causes a crash IF you attempt to use the comma.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.