Pool Math........The App

I've discovered in iOS if I submit a log entry. Then return to it to adjust a value. For example, change my salt from 2850 to 2650 ppm and return to the Log screen, it doesn't not reflect the new salt ppm value. However if I tap that log entry the detail within shows correct 2650 ppm value. If I close the app and relaunch, it will refresh the Log list view.
On Android. There are 3 places to change the values. In logs or overview, when I change it, it makes the change. When click into CSI though, I can make changes but those do not change the log, which I like, so I can see how the changes effect the csi.

I'm loving this app!

Apologies if this has been addressed but is there a way to log and track chemical additions? My pool is new in January and Im still trying to figure out an apx daily amount of chlorine I'm using. Also I struggle with high TA and would love to track my MA additions.

I'm loving this app!

Apologies if this has been addressed but is there a way to log and track chemical additions? My pool is new in January and Im still trying to figure out an apx daily amount of chlorine I'm using. Also I struggle with high TA and would love to track my MA additions.

Not yet. When the App launches the main goal is to have a solid foundation of pool math and data logging established. Then, in a future update, chemical addition recording will be added.

Stay tuned...

Hi
Just started playing with the app
On the app it suggest FC to be between 1 and 3 but in recommended levels it's 3 to 7 and on the CYA/Chlorine chart it's 3 to 5 for my Fibreglass with a CYA of 20
I can't seem to change these recommended levels although it comes up correct with a slam level of 10
On the pH level it doesn't include aeration

So, I lead teams that develop multi million user apps. So, I have been in more than one UX meeting in my days. So, it is important to note that you asked ME to test, so be careful what you wish for.

Immediate observations as I haven't gotten too far into it and am traveling internationally right now.

1. I love that you are using social login from the get-go. It looks like you are using a turn key solution. I am guessing azure services. You may want to think through not having a traditional user database. It is pretty easy to build in and using nothing but social might have cost implications once you scale. You may also think about using Amazon login as well because there is likely to be an opportunity for affiliate sales of chemicals and parts.

2. I would suggest a single pool mode. It's great that you can add multiple pools, but that is likely a fringe case, so it doesn't make sense to optimize UX around it.

3. After configuring my first pool, I arrive at a blank white screen with a hamburger menu. Poor experience. Consider having a video or tutorial to start for a less harsh on ramp. Even a "thanks for setting up your first pool. Would you like to enter your first reading?

4. The alignment of the chemical categories and the suggested values is confusing layout that can be tweaked. When I first glanced, I thought it was suggesting cya of 230 and CC of 30. It just wasn't lining up intuitively.

I will have more. Remember that you asked ;)

Sort the chemical categories a bit better. CC should be directly below FC, as you are likely to follow the one test with the other.

There should be som (configurable) warning systems. For example, if I put in FC of 15, it should gray out pH and tell me that pH readings aren't reliable with FC above 10.

Allows invalid values for pH. I entered a pH of 956 which is obviously not possible. If a user does something like that, you can prompt with "valid pH" values are between the range of 0-16 and are likely between the range of 6-9 in the typical pool. Please check your results"

Side note: I hope you took the time from the get go to put your strings into xliff files for easy localization into different languages.

Sort the chemical categories a bit better. CC should be directly below FC, as you are likely to follow the one test with the other.

There should be som (configurable) warning systems. For example, if I put in FC of 15, it should gray out pH and tell me that pH readings aren't reliable with FC above 10.

Jeez, I hate to agree with "this guy" (JK!) :p, but yeah - I find the sort order awkward as well.

We're all accustomed to the TFP sequence, so that would seem more natural.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What would be really cool, but definitely more of a roadmap item, would be to add the Amazon lex voice processing service. Your typical user will have wet hands when using, so it would be supercool to be able to say to the app "free chlorine five point eight" and have it record it.

Great app. Nice start. As a new pool owner its nice to now have a log for my testing. Thanks.

Couple observations and suggestions of mine....

- I would like to be able to scroll right in the list of logs to see additional log items rather than just the main 5 buttons without drilling down into the log.

- Would be nice to be able to re-order the tracked items. With a vinyl pool myself CH is not as critical to me.

Rollercoastr & DallasSocFan,

Thanks for the input. Most of what you have posted is either going to be addressed at launch OR handled in a future release/update. While we would have loved to included the chemical additions portion of it in the final release, that was not the goal. The goal was to establish a very firm foundation of the primary PoolMath calculations engine coupled with a solid logging system. Then, from that foundation, more options will be built out over time. Getting foundation right is the primary objective.

Integration with Alexi, Siri, iWatch etc are all long term goals. Remember that we have one developer who is working on this as a side-job and not an app development team looking to launch a multi-million user app - the scales are completely different and the pacing is not even comparable. That said, we of course appreciate the positive comments and ideas from all users and we are logging every single one of them to keep the app developer busy for the long-haul.

Please keep the positive feedback coming!

Minor request, may have been addressed before. I just added Borates to my pool, and while the app was incredibly useful (as always) the recommended quantities of Borax came out as 1072 o or 67 lbs or 14.1 (76 oz) boxes. I don't know if this is regional, or a recent change, but every place I went (had to go to multiple stores to find that much Borax) Borax came in a 65 oz boxes only. It would have been more convenient, but not critical, to be able to select that size box in the same way that you can select the size of bleach job. Just felt a bit silly to swap to my calculator to see how many boxes to buy.

Minor request, may have been addressed before. I just added Borates to my pool, and while the app was incredibly useful (as always) the recommended quantities of Borax came out as 1072 o or 67 lbs or 14.1 (76 oz) boxes. I don't know if this is regional, or a recent change, but every place I went (had to go to multiple stores to find that much Borax) Borax came in a 65 oz boxes only. It would have been more convenient, but not critical, to be able to select that size box in the same way that you can select the size of bleach job. Just felt a bit silly to swap to my calculator to see how many boxes to buy.

I found the same thing last year when I added borates to my pool with borax. I think the smaller boxes are a result of the economy, similar to why toilet paper rolls are now more narrow. I just did the extra math in my head.

I agree that re-sorting the readings is useful - CC and FC grouped together.

I do have a few wishes/suggestions:

1. Allow tracking of pump run time in addition to SWG output %
1a. I have a cover and my SWG runs at a lower % when it is covered vs un-covered - it would be nice to have this SWG % tracked as well - it could be toggled on/off as most users would never need it.

2. Highlight by blinking, or a color ring around a value, when a number is off by a certain amount compared to goals
2a. Have an acceptable range for each test and a toggle to highlight or blink that value easily showing that a test value is off

3. Trending Track/Chart of measured Free Chlorine over time - comparing Water Temp, Pump Run Time, SWG % - to show trending value - FC is climbing, stable, or falling - also predicted value going forward.

4. Track/Chart PH over time - with Current PH reading, SWG%, Pump Run Time, Temperature, and Acid Additions to show trending PH climbing, stable, or falling - also predicted future values. The program could predict and suggest how often 16oz of MA is needed by tracking the above values.

5. Seasonal Learning - this is a big one - but I think with all of the data that is being captured - the data should be able to be able to be tracked enough to show predictions based on past test results, and seasonal/weather changes.

Examples - when the temperature of the water goes from 85° to 90° the FC loss will be higher by some % - suggest increase to SWG%, or Pump Run Time. This will also slightly change PH rise prediction. As the daylight decreases or increases over the year the FC losses will be less.

6. Automation Updates - Automatic configuration and seasonal adjustments - if the program can predict things over time based on lots of test data, it should be able to also be tied into Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward automation systems and automatically adjust the values of the various pump run times, SWG%, Stenner Pumps, ORP changes, or more - with confirmation ahead of time.

Example: Your FC is running low - would you like to increase your SWG% from 35% to 40%? YES/NO - Or Increase/Decrease Pump Run Time

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.