Question about cartridge filter pressure

bjc123

Jun 30, 2016
Germantown, TN
I have a Pentair 520 cartridge filter. My starting pressure is around 10. I cleaned the filters last weekend as the pressure was getting up around 17-18 and the filters were pretty nasty. I cleaned them and reinstalled and the pressure was back down around 10. Over the last few days, I've noticed that it's starting around 10 when it comes on and it's dropping down to the 7-8 range. I'm getting a ton of oak tree flowers in the pool and am diligently keeping the skimmers cleaned out and the basket by the pump.

Should I be concerned about the pressure drop? I've not observed that before. If so, what could cause that?

The pump basket is about is clear as I can get it. I try to make sure the pump is off when emptying the skimmers this time of year to keep debris from getting sucked in.

I watched a video about cleaning the impeller. I'm going to see if that is my problem. Thanks for the advice on that!

A clogged impeller can indicate a cracked basket, a basket not installed correctly or possibly a basket that floats.

Make sure that the basket is in good shape and aligned correctly. Also, I would put a medium sized rock in the basket to keep it securely seated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.