Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer door / flap broke off. How difficult are these to replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer door / flap broke off. How difficult are these to replace?

Late last year the skimmer door / flap broke off in our in-ground pool, and it became obvious pretty quickly that we were missing "something" (seemed to be a fair amount of small debris that just wouldn't stay in the skimmer.

So I want to replace just the door...but is that something that can be done without replacing a larger portion of the skimmer?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer door / flap broke off. How difficult are these to replace?

It is easily replaced. It is called a weir. Or a flapper. look on the underside of your skimmer basket lid, it should have info. You can also buy them based on measurements and type. INYO Pools and Sunplay are good places to get new weirs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

On my two pools the weir doors and hinges are held in place by a single Philips head screw that you can find by looking at the back of the weir door while looking in through the top cover. Other skimmers use spring loaded hinge pins that pop out easily. Should be no big deal to replace once you know what type you have.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just replaced the weir on mine and it took all of 30 seconds and didn't require any tools. It's a Hayward and I can't recall the model while I'm sitting here at the Honda dealer waiting on service. My weir has flexible plastic tabs at each bottom corner where the weir hinges. It just snapped into place.

10,200 gallon vinyl liner
    1 skimmer and 3 returns
    1hp Pentair Wisperflo pump
    Hayward S244T sand filter
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll have to get out and take a look this weekend to see what my setup is, but big thanks everyone, as that sounds exceptionally promising.
    And as an added bonus, I learned a new word.

Thanks all