Skimmer door / flap broke off. How difficult are these to replace?


New member
Feb 24, 2017
Madison, WI
Late last year the skimmer door / flap broke off in our in-ground pool, and it became obvious pretty quickly that we were missing "something" (seemed to be a fair amount of small debris that just wouldn't stay in the skimmer.

So I want to replace just the door...but is that something that can be done without replacing a larger portion of the skimmer?


Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
It is easily replaced. It is called a weir. Or a flapper. :) look on the underside of your skimmer basket lid, it should have info. You can also buy them based on measurements and type. INYO Pools and Sunplay are good places to get new weirs.


Well-known member
Oct 7, 2016
On my two pools the weir doors and hinges are held in place by a single Philips head screw that you can find by looking at the back of the weir door while looking in through the top cover. Other skimmers use spring loaded hinge pins that pop out easily. Should be no big deal to replace once you know what type you have.
Aug 6, 2016
Lexington, SC
I just replaced the weir on mine and it took all of 30 seconds and didn't require any tools. It's a Hayward and I can't recall the model while I'm sitting here at the Honda dealer waiting on service. My weir has flexible plastic tabs at each bottom corner where the weir hinges. It just snapped into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


New member
Feb 24, 2017
Madison, WI
I'll have to get out and take a look this weekend to see what my setup is, but big thanks everyone, as that sounds exceptionally promising.
And as an added bonus, I learned a new word.

Thanks all