I need help with algae!

Ok, just got the test kit and updated my signature. Now to figure out how to get the testing done.

Just take it one step at a time...each test.. read the instructions on the kit. Write down the results so you can start a record.
I usually start with the pH, and don't use the other side of the block for chlorine because I'm going to run the FAS-DPD test instead. Then I do the FC/CC, TA, CH, CYA

As you learn your pool you will be doing the pH, FC, CC test the most. The other ones less often or after any changes made (such as adding chems or draining H2O)

Yippee :flower:

FC- 9
CC- .5
pH- 7.8
TA- 210
CH- 1550
CYA- 35

Ok, first thing i see is that a CYA of 35 is really 40. So during your SLAM that's a great place to be, but after its clear you'll want to raise that up for the SWG sake to 80.
Is your CH *really* 1550?!?! How'd it get so high? Have you been using CalHypo along with having hard water or sumpthin?? :scratch:
Only way to lower that is to drain some and refill. Is that something you can do?

While your FC is below 10, go ahead and bring your pH down to 7.2 with some MA. Use PoolMath to tell you how much. (side benefit- it will also help lower that TA)

Otherwise.... you understand the SLAM method, right?? SLAM Process

Holler back with any other questions, we're happy to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heather I want to confirm that when you did the CH test exactly how many drops did you add for the sample water change?

Were you using the 10cc sample or the 25cc sample? (I'm old school, I use 25cc, 20 drops of R-0010<mix> then 5 drops of R-0011 <mix> then add the R-0012 one drop at a time until it doesn't change any further. Drop that last drop from your count and then multiply the number of drops by 200 <ie, double and add a zero>.)

The math is easier for me:grrrr: when the sample is 25cc instead of the 10cc sample.

Would you mind doing that one again, please? I am leery of having you invest too much time and cost of products on water *that* hard without double checking first.

IF it really is that hard, you're going to have to drain significantly and refill or you'll be fighting against all that calcium to keep your pool nice.

Now that I have reread, I did it wrong. I did the 10 drops and 3 drops but did it in a 25 cc sample. I will retest in the morning. I was thinking that number was really high. Although we do have very hard water so I wasn't sure. Thanks again!! I will try again tomorrow.

Yea, you may be hard, but 1550 is a bit high. No worries! Just re-do and get the hang of it. At this stage, you're worried more about getting rhe pH right and keeping the FC up anyway. Once we help you get this lined out, you'll be happy you decided to give this a try and you'll be amazed how easy this can be.

FC-9
CC-.5
pH-7.8
TA-210
CH-500
CYA-35

Good day Heather :) So until you crank up that SWG after the SLAM, treat your pool as if its a Non-SWG pool and using this chart :lookhere: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] you need to bring your FC up to 16ppm (since your CYA is really 40) and keep re-testing and re-dosing with bleach to keep it at 16ppm until its clear.

But first you need to use Muriatic Acid to lower your pH to 7.2.. I just tapped your pool numbers into the PoolMath app <top of page> and it says to lower your pH you need to add 74 ounces of 31.45% muriatic acid. You can find that stuff in the paint section or pool section of the hardware store. Keep your head upwind from it cause it has a powerful vapor punch. Pour it slowly in a thin stream in front of a return with the pump running to help dilute it quickly in the pool. I always brush immediately after too in the spot I poured. Give it an hour and retest the pH and you should be on the money (or close enough).

Then get started on that SLAM gurrrl! :whip:

Yip :flower:

So I will turn the swg off? Pour the bleach in at night and check in the morning? Do it again the next night if needed? Do you have an idea of how much I should start with? And every morning check the fc again? I'm all over the place. Just want to make sure I understand before I start.

So I will turn the swg off? Pour the bleach in at night and check in the morning? Do it again the next night if needed? Do you have an idea of how much I should start with? And every morning check the fc again? I'm all over the place. Just want to make sure I understand before I start.

If you are just starting the SLAM, you need to test and dose often. Like every hour or so. Pool math at the top of the page, will tell you how much to put in.

Pabeader is right.

Ideally during a SLAM, you're FC would never drop below the suggested range for your Cya level. If you can get as close to that as possible, that is your goal. Perhaps you can try doing this over the weekend, or watching it very closely and adding as needed. The less it falls below target, the faster it will go.

Heather I think you're a bit confuddled because at the *end* of a SLAM we ask folks to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to confirm that in the dark when there is no UV light :sunny:eek:n the pool to eat chlorine, and if in the morning they lost only 1ppm or less, they've passed that test.

You are just starting the SLAM process. Here it is again--> SLAM Process

Ideally you will wake up early today and run a pH, FC and CC tests only, then bring your pH down to 7.2 with the muriatic acid. As soon as that is mixed in, you want to add as much chlorine as it takes to get you up to SLAM level. Your SLAM at 30ppm is 12ppm chlorine. Use Pool Math to tell you how much to add. Pour that in (in front of a return) then brush the pool. Go have a fast breakfast and come back and retest just the FC. If it now says 10ppm (for example) you're going to ask PoolMath to tell you how much clorine to add to go from 10 to 12 again. Do this as often as possible (even hourly) and your SLAM will go fastest.

At bed time tonight do your last test of FC for the night and put the bleach in, then wake up early tomorrow and repeat.... until the pool is clear and free of algae.

Then we'll talk you thru the final steps to end it.

Got that??

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.