I need help with algae!

Yes, I'm afraid so. :( You need to do both the first test at night and the morning one before the sun huts the water, otherwise that early morning sun could steal some of your FC resulting in a fail. Hang in there. Just maintain this evening and try again tomorrow.

Passed the oclt test last week. I retested everything today. I know the FC is high. I need to turn down the chlorinator. I also need to add a little acid. Otherwise, how do these numbers look?

TA- 125
CH- 375
FC-21.5
CC-.5
TC-22
CYA-30
pH- 7.8

By chlorinator you mean your IC40 SWG correct? Your target FC varies based on your current CYA. Please refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). A SWG means using the lower (SWG) chart on that link. Note - Now that your SLAM is over, the minimum CYA for a SWG pool is "70". FC would be balanced to about 5 or so.

If you were managing your pool as a non-SWG pool, then you would use the top chart on that link. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When your SLAM is over, you can increase CYA by adding granular stabilizer. You can get some at Wal-Mart or the big box stores in the pool section. About $16 for a 4lb container. Use the Poolmath calculator to verify how much you need to add in increase by 40 ppm which should get you to 70. Place the stabilizer in a white sock and sock near a return jet or soak in the skimmer. Squeeze often to dissipate.
dbtgallery.php

Can liquid not be used?
Sure. Liquid conditioner is the same thing (CYA) and can be used. But it's nicknamed "liquid gold" for a reason. If you didn't know, it's about 2-3x the cost of granular stabilizer. But you are welcome to use either.

Apparently, our builders "pool school" was pointless.
Agreed. :goodjob: Mine as well. Very common. Many installers simply pour chemicals at start-up based on what someone told them to do without testing or knowing what it all means. You'll learn more here in 2 weeks than most learn in 2 years or more from a builder or pool store. :)

Go ahead and pour what you need in, in front of return. I'd also brush after. Its a very thick liquid especially when it gets to the bottom of the jug and then its like white glue coming out. Do you need the entire jug?? Be careful if you don't to make sure you shake it *very* well to get it mixed up.

Maddie :flower:

I'd use the whole jug of liquid then just buy a jug of granular. The liquid would be really hard to dose out "some" since its so viscous. You'll be able to "creep up" easier with the granular after the liquid.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.