Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Leander, Central Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Leander, Central Texas

Hello,

I'm new to pool maintenance, we had ours built last summer. Filled it in mid August. I have been blindly adding tablets to my chlorinator and occasional liquid chlorine. I test weekly with my Pentair Test kit and adjust as instructed by the builder pool school. I'm not having any water quality issues... yet, but being a curious person I felt like I didn't really have a lot of knowledge about what I was doing and the actual effect it was having. I found this site and have been diligently researching the last week or so. I ordered a k-2006 test kit and expect that to arrive today. My chlorinator was about ready to be refilled this weekend, but I decided to just let that run out and supplement with liquid bleach for right now until I get some more accurate numbers. We'll see what happens when I get those number. I'm hoping my CYA isn't too far out of whack already.
    - Mike

19.8K Gallon IG, Pebble finish, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tristar Dual Speed Pump, DeltaUV D-80 UV Sanitizer, K-2006, Finished August 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Leander, Central Texas

mww,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all you pool questions..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Ordering an accurate test kit is the first step in taking control and understanding what is going on with our water.

How much of our Pool School have you read? Start with these if you missed them as they are the basis:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

You will learn so much here at TFP! I love knowing what is going on with my pool. It sounds like you have already been doing some reading here. Tim5055 has given you some great homework. Once you get going, I think you will love it! Nice job on making your sig and ordering a proper test kit! Post some pics when you get a chance!

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!

Ordering an accurate test kit is the first step in taking control and understanding what is going on with our water.

How much of our Pool School have you read? Start with these if you missed them as they are the basis:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!
    I have read all those. The question is how much can I remember. I have a feeling I'll be referring back to those quite a bit once I start testing and getting some valid numbers.
    - Mike

19.8K Gallon IG, Pebble finish, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tristar Dual Speed Pump, DeltaUV D-80 UV Sanitizer, K-2006, Finished August 2016

6. Back To Top    #6

Picture of my Pool taken last week. Hope this works
    4793D089-A901-4DB5-A407-909F5503FB85.jpg
    - Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

Just Beautiful! Is that a Cool Deck type product on your decking or just a stain and texture?
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mww View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to pool maintenance, we had ours built last summer. Filled it in mid August. I have been blindly adding tablets to my chlorinator and occasional liquid chlorine. I test weekly with my Pentair Test kit and adjust as instructed by the builder pool school. I'm not having any water quality issues... yet, but being a curious person I felt like I didn't really have a lot of knowledge about what I was doing and the actual effect it was having. I found this site and have been diligently researching the last week or so. I ordered a k-2006 test kit and expect that to arrive today. My chlorinator was about ready to be refilled this weekend, but I decided to just let that run out and supplement with liquid bleach for right now until I get some more accurate numbers. We'll see what happens when I get those number. I'm hoping my CYA isn't too far out of whack already.
    OH MY GOODNESS! This is one of the best newbie posts I have seen! SO much right with it! THANKS!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mww View Post
    Picture of my Pool taken last week. Hope this works
    4793D089-A901-4DB5-A407-909F5503FB85.jpg
    Hey Crystal! I see a road trip in our future! That is such a pretty pool and look at the view!!! I see a green egg to cook with and all kinds of places to sit while waiting for dinner! I will bring the dessert!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Crystal View Post
    Just Beautiful! Is that a Cool Deck type product on your decking or just a stain and texture?
    it's a cool deck type surface but it's not that cool! I took surface temp readings last summer when they did it and it was hotter then the plain concrete by a few degrees. I'm assuming that was due to the color.
    - Mike

10. Back To Top    #10

Kim...I'll bring the beverages! Maybe we should just spend the summer touring all the beautiful TFP pools around the country! Woohoo!

- - - Updated - - -

The cool deck looks like a light enough color. I've heard from others that cool deck is not so cool. But it still looks beautiful!
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir