Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG Percentage During Absence

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG Percentage During Absence

We just finished a pool last December, and we'll be leaving in May for several months.

I've been working to get a handle on chlorine and acid usage. Being a new, plaster pool with SWCG the acid usage was constant. As recommended here, I've got borate at 50 ppm and TA at 80, and acid usage is getting more stable. This week I cut the TA to 60 and will see if acid usage drops further.

My question is, during my time away, while the pool maint. company is only monitoring the pool weekly, should I set the SWCG percentage on the high side, with possibly increasing FC or should I set it a touch low and let them add chlorine each week? I'm thinking set it on the high side because too much chlorine isn't as bad as too little.
    17,250 gallon plaster pool & spa, IC40 SWCG, Cartridge Filter, CYA 70-80, Boric 50 ppm, Temp~84F, Naples, FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWCG Percentage During Absence

Is the pool going to be covered during this time?

If not I'd probably set it normally and have them test and add if it needs it. If it is going to be covered, I'd set it on the low side.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If uncovered I would set as normal and raise FC to shock level with bleach before leaving. Then they can add more later if needed. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool will be uncovered in a screen enclosure.
    17,250 gallon plaster pool & spa, IC40 SWCG, Cartridge Filter, CYA 70-80, Boric 50 ppm, Temp~84F, Naples, FL.