SWCG Percentage During Absence

Naplespool

Mar 26, 2017
Naples/FL
We just finished a pool last December, and we'll be leaving in May for several months.

I've been working to get a handle on chlorine and acid usage. Being a new, plaster pool with SWCG the acid usage was constant. As recommended here, I've got borate at 50 ppm and TA at 80, and acid usage is getting more stable. This week I cut the TA to 60 and will see if acid usage drops further.

My question is, during my time away, while the pool maint. company is only monitoring the pool weekly, should I set the SWCG percentage on the high side, with possibly increasing FC or should I set it a touch low and let them add chlorine each week? I'm thinking set it on the high side because too much chlorine isn't as bad as too little.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Is the pool going to be covered during this time?

If not I'd probably set it normally and have them test and add if it needs it. If it is going to be covered, I'd set it on the low side.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
DFW, TX
If uncovered I would set as normal and raise FC to shock level with bleach before leaving. Then they can add more later if needed. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]