Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Relationship between median frost date and when you open your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Relationship between median frost date and when you open your pool?

I haven't seen this concept specifically mentioned - just that people would ideally open when your pool approaches 60 degrees. I asked and searched for info about water temps in my area (Northern IL) and people said they open, based on temps, on average, around mid april... Which happens to coincide with the median date for frost, give or take a week. Around me, the median frost date is mid april, the last frost date is mid may.

While it makes sense to stick with the when it approaches 60, as that is very specific to the area, is it also reasonable to say to noobs like me, trying to guess when we might expect the water to reach that make, to say around the average frost date?
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Relationship between median frost date and when you open your pool?

I'd say it's probably a reasonable date to go with. Seems like it errs on opening early versus late for your and my areas. I open then so little to no chance of algae AND because my fur swimmers don't care what the water temp is.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!