Broken skimmer gate tab on weir inground pool

Mar 28, 2017
Clearwater/Florida
I have what i believe to be a Pentair skimmer system (that's what the lid says anyway), so assuming it's not an after market lid... One of the tabs on the side of the weir inlet have broken off, the skimmer gate will no longer stay on - I have tried the spring loaded replacement flaps, but they just keep falling out of place once the water begins to move about with people in the pool! I got a bigger skimmer flap and trimmed it down so as to make it as tight as possible, obviously still free to move (this way the spring load mechanism would be a strong as it could be), this didn't work still! I have tried super gluing the broken bit off. Do I have to drain the pool down to dry it all out to fix it? I cannot get a drill in there to put a threaded cam pin in place etc etc...
I have seen other have asked similar questions, but there seems to be no firm resolution. I DO NOT believe a company would make something that it very likely to break, not be a serviceable part!
I have contacted Pentair with regard to this issue...yet still waiting a response.

ANY help or advice would be appreciated (this is my first post, so i apologize if it's not done correctly.

The one they told me i had to have (from Pinch a Penny) initially was too small. The original gate was 8" 3/16, the first spring loaded one was 7" 13/16 which fitted but was quite easily moved. I returned it, and got one that was 8" 3/8 (why they change measurement sizes i don't know). Initially this one didn't fit, it couldn't move freely, so i trimmed it down to fit nice and snug. The spring load fixture is tight, but when the kids are jumping in and out of the pool, the rocking of the water making it flap seems to dislodge it sometimes. It seems totally ridiculous that a skimmer system is not serviceable on parts that are likely to wear out over time.

The one they told me i had to have (from Pinch a Penny) initially was too small. The original gate was 8" 3/16, the first spring loaded one was 7" 13/16 which fitted but was quite easily moved. I returned it, and got one that was 8" 3/8 (why they change measurement sizes i don't know). Initially this one didn't fit, it couldn't move freely, so i trimmed it down to fit nice and snug. The spring load fixture is tight, but when the kids are jumping in and out of the pool, the rocking of the water making it flap seems to dislodge it sometimes. It seems totally ridiculous that a skimmer system is not serviceable on parts that are likely to wear out over time.
Wow! This is the help and response from pentair in relation to the replacement tabs they sell and advised me to use. I asked how they're supposed to be fitted...
0fff179942f4372c9db93105a0fac00c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.