CuLator bag is stuck in my pipes.

After successfully treating my pool for stains, I started using the CuLator bag in my pump basket. The pool has been cloudy for two to three days so we are treating it accordingly. Well, tonight the pump sounded off and the skimmer wasn't pulling in as much as normal. When I turned the pump off I noticed the CuLator was not in the pump basket and the valve was not completely on skimmer. My husband and I couldn't get the handle all the way to skimmer and we couldn't find the CuLator. Once we turned the pump back on the CuLator reappeared and we could turn the handle all the way to skimmer. Turned the pump off and it was gone again! How am I supposed to get it out? Any help is really appreciated! Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

So, the water draining back to the pool is pulling the bag into the plumbing. I would remove the thumbscrew on the valve and turn it so that the handle is pointed to the pump. This will shut off the water flow to the pump. So, if one person can turn the valve and one person can immediately shut off the pump that would be best so the pump doesn't spend much time on with no water flow.

After successfully treating my pool for stains, I started using the CuLator bag in my pump basket. The pool has been cloudy for two to three days so we are treating it accordingly. Well, tonight the pump sounded off and the skimmer wasn't pulling in as much as normal. When I turned the pump off I noticed the CuLator was not in the pump basket and the valve was not completely on skimmer. My husband and I couldn't get the handle all the way to skimmer and we couldn't find the CuLator. Once we turned the pump back on the CuLator reappeared and we could turn the handle all the way to skimmer. Turned the pump off and it was gone again! How am I supposed to get it out? Any help is really appreciated! Thank you!
Welcome to TFP!

As pooldv has mentioned, this is a two person job.

As a note moving forward, it's best not to put anything in the pump strainer basket. Why did you not put the CuLator into the skimmer?

Also, why are you using the CuLator? Are you battling metals in the water?

IMG_20170327_070106.jpg I included a photo of our set up. Turning the handle towards the pump allows both our skimmer and vacuum to work at the same time. We couldn't get the handle to turn the opposite direction, even after loosening the screw. We didn't want to use too much force either. I am going to go back to the pool store today to see if they can resolve the issue. This wasn't happening prior to this weekend because I remember taking the CuLator out to clean the pump basket just last week.

If the bag is really stuck in that diverter valve and you can't rotate the handle you can always try taking the screws out and pulling the top of the valve off. That should allow you to pull anything out that is stuck. You may want an o-ring kit on hand to replaces the seals in the valve body just in case one gets damaged. Your PB should have those handy but they also never should have told you to place that bag in the pump basket, but that's just my opinion.

I am so glad you got it out without harm.

I am curious what type of staining you had and what you used to remove it.

I have never liked anything about the culatore.......one more reason to stay away from it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, that looks like iron staining. I am glad it worked so well. Are you filling from a well? If so, that iron staining will likely occur again but you know how to get it out so you are in good shape.

I would not use a CUlator. I think the Super Metal Control is a sequestrant and you will need to add it from time to time as it wears out. Keep an eye on it.

Nice Work! :goodjob::goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.