Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Missing parts and mystery pipes

1. Back To Top    #1

Missing parts and mystery pipes

Opening my pool for the first time. (My first pool...) The house is a foreclosure / renovation. I found a few return jets hiding in the shed, but I need a bunch more. There are 8 returns in the spa and 5 in the pool. Any rhyme or reason to what I should get for each? I have a 1/2", a 3/4" and a hydrosweep. I'm thinking I'll mix 1/2" and 3/4" in the spa, and maybe use a couple hydrosweep near the stairs. Should I just put regular 3/4" jets in the rest of the pool?

Also, there are 1.5" pipes leading from the bottom of each skimmer back into the pool, a foot or two below the skimmer. Inside the skimmer, there's a cover that can block off that hole. What's that for, and should it be open?

Last - at the bottom of the spa, there's an opening, about 10" square, where the suction side pipes come in. Seems like there should be a grate of some sort in there?

Sorry for all the questions. TFP is my best friend these days!

34k gallon, 3' - 8' deep, 45' x 25' plaster free-form, in-ground spa, Hayward MaxFlo VS, Sta-Rite System 3 S8M-150, Pureline PL7703 SWG, Dual 1HP Pentair spa booster pumps, Hayward H400FDN, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, Dolphin Quantum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Missing parts and mystery pipes

All good questions. Pictures would be the best thing so we can make sure we know for sure what you are dealing with.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Missing parts and mystery pipes

Jack,

The pipe that goes from your skimmer and then back into the pool is there so that if the water level drops below the mouth of the skimmer, the pump will still have a water supply from that little pipe.

In order for this this to work, there is a diverter plate that sits below the skimmer basket. The plate drops when the water level gets too low and basically connects the pipe from the pool to the skimmer intake pipe.

Unless you just plan on running your pool dry, I'm not so sure they have much real life value.

Yes there should be grate/cover over the square hole in the bottom of the Spa.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.