Retrofitting my 1960 return lines for the PoolSkim?

Mar 8, 2017
Petaluma, CA
My old 1960 plaster pool's skimmer doesn't do much with my new variable speed Intelliflo pump, so I had the good idea of adding on a PoolSkim to the deep end return line and replacing the eyeball fitting. The issue is the return line is 1.5" copper and the eyeball is the original 1960 Landon faceplate that sits into an unthreaded large copper opening (see images below). The outer diameter of the faceplate of the eyeball is about 3 7/8", the inner tube diameter is about 2 3/8". Meaning that something like a stub pipe adapter wouldn't work, as the largest version I can find is designed to slide into 1.5" pipe and that is too small.

My only thought thus far is have a metal shop fabricate a new faceplate out of stainless with a 1.5" female thread that would match the old eyeball's opening and 3 mounting screws. Obviously I am trying to avoid re-piping or altering the existing returns at this point.

Any ideas or products that could work? Thanks!
20170323_104631_resized.jpg20170323_104639_resized.jpg

Here is the prototype I came up with after a trip to Home Depot. Fortunately the eyeball fitting had two parts, a nesting base ring and then the actual fitting. I took the base ring and installed two metal electrical conduit adapters from 2" to 1.5" (which I trimmed for the three mounting screws). Then I found a threaded male to female 1.5" brass fitting fitting with lock nut (in the sink plumbing section). This was able to be installed into the tapered existing orifice and screwed in place.

I installed the PoolSkim and it seems to work, but I have yet to be amazed by leaf collection. There are some leaves going in, but many just float right by. I tried playing with the orientation and blue adjustment ring and hopefully this will work.
20170324_144411_resized.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.