Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any queen palm experts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any queen palm experts?

Does anyone have any experience with cold damaged Queen Palms? I have three that were extremely burnt in our 2 day cold winter this year. 2 of the 3 just are looking more and more dead. There is very little green left on them. Is there any hope? I have or had 7 total and 4 of them are much more mature and still have a ton of green in the middle. These are not looking so green.

Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any queen palm experts?

That 25 degree day really did a number on queen palms in Houston. Mine weren't as big as yours but I ended up pulling all mine and replacing them. Next year I plan on wrapping c9's around the base to keep it warm. You do have some green growth on one however so maybe there's a chance? Good luck.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Time, water and fertilizer. Lots and lots of time. I had some Queens get zapped by a week of frigid temps 2 years ago and they are still not quite right looking but they are coming back to life. If you're not patient you can pull them and replant or just wait-n-see...

Good luck.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Time, water and fertilizer. Lots and lots of time. I had some Queens get zapped by a week of frigid temps 2 years ago and they are still not quite right looking but they are coming back to life. If you're not patient you can pull them and replant or just wait-n-see...

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last time this happened to the bigger queen palms it took 2+ years for them to look right. However they were always green in the middle. It was the same with the Pygmy date palms. I planted these 3 since the last bad freeze and they are nowhere near mature. After the last bad freeze the fronds were small and deformed on both the Queen and Pygmy date palms for a long time.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.