Any queen palm experts?

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Does anyone have any experience with cold damaged Queen Palms? I have three that were extremely burnt in our 2 day cold winter this year. 2 of the 3 just are looking more and more dead. There is very little green left on them. Is there any hope? I have or had 7 total and 4 of them are much more mature and still have a ton of green in the middle. These are not looking so green.

geITQsD.jpg

CxV3Psa.jpg

That 25 degree day really did a number on queen palms in Houston. Mine weren't as big as yours but I ended up pulling all mine and replacing them. Next year I plan on wrapping c9's around the base to keep it warm. You do have some green growth on one however so maybe there's a chance? Good luck.

Time, water and fertilizer. Lots and lots of time. I had some Queens get zapped by a week of frigid temps 2 years ago and they are still not quite right looking but they are coming back to life. If you're not patient you can pull them and replant or just wait-n-see...

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time, water and fertilizer. Lots and lots of time. I had some Queens get zapped by a week of frigid temps 2 years ago and they are still not quite right looking but they are coming back to life. If you're not patient you can pull them and replant or just wait-n-see...

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time this happened to the bigger queen palms it took 2+ years for them to look right. However they were always green in the middle. It was the same with the Pygmy date palms. I planted these 3 since the last bad freeze and they are nowhere near mature. After the last bad freeze the fronds were small and deformed on both the Queen and Pygmy date palms for a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.