Replace liner?

May 22, 2014
Newmanstown PA
Hello everyone.

This season I was thinking about replacing my liner. The liner is 8 years old this year and was originally installed with our pool. For this reason I do not know the mil or quality of the liner. I purchased my 24' round from NAMCOM in early 2009, so I'm sure it's so-so. Anyhow, the reason I am thinking about having it replaced is the pool hasn't gotten any use in the past few years. With me being away most of the year and only home for a few weeks here and there, my wife and kids joined the local pool because she wouldn't have to take care of it. The past 3 seasons it seems like the cover has ripped due to high winds in our area which causes the pool to fill up with nature and get completely nasty. By the time I come home for a few weeks near the end of the season it seems like I am spending my time running the pool 24/x7, brushing adding bleach everyday, etc. All to close it again and usually with the levels not so ideal. Last year I returned home in the middle of summer and thought I'd be able to get the levels perfect and even swim in it, but even with the new sand filter it helped, but I didn't start making progress during the SLAM until I was about to leave again. Needless to say I closed the pool and around December my wife said the cover was ripped again and as always the pool looks bad. So, I was wondering how much abuse it can take? Since it's been exposed to the element and harsh PA winter and caked algae at the bottom (I'm sure), I was wondering if I should purchase a new liner and have a local pool company instal it or if with sometime I could salvage the one that's in there? Would that even be worth the time and hassle at this point? I'm hoping to be home permanently this year in the middle of the summer, at worse maybe October with no more traveling. Once home again I will have a better grasp on things with the pool and can replace covers, etc fairly quickly if need be.

I know this was very long winded, but should I look at a liner replacement? If so, where do you all recommend I purchase one at? I heard the BLUE DENALI WITH BLUE MOSAIC is a strong liner.

Thank you!

Judd

Here are my thoughts:

-It is holding water so it is still good. I would not replace unless you HAVE to, at least until you can be there to take care of it.

-When we bought this house the pool had been setting for 6 months before we bought it then for 3 more as me got the house ready to move in. So it sat for 9 months "brewing" yuck! This was before I found TFP. I drained the water out and scooped and scooped and scooped yuck out of the pool. I then refilled it and went from there. In your case I would wait until you were going to be there to care for the fresh water or your wife is willing to help out. (My hubby does not help with the pool at all so I understand where you are coming from.)

Let us know what you end up doing.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the comment, Kim. It's good to know you think I should keep the liner. Hopefully once I'm home it wont take too long to get cleaned and will still look good. I suppose the pool covers ripped so badly the past few years because I got them on eBay for $25. They were said to be good quality, but maybe not so much. Add that to all of our winds and it can be a PITA. It's good to hear you got your pool sorted out. I was thinking about draining almost all the water out, then scrubbing the walls and bottom of the liner and refilling it, but I've heard people having to replace their liner due to shrinkage. Perhaps this isn't so bad when it's cold, but during the warmer months it can be an issue.

Judd

For me it was a matter of I was ready to get the pool going so RIGHT then (me patient-NOPE! I want it and I want it now :roll:). It is up to you how and when you do it. I will be here when you are ready to do what you are going to do!

I'd probably look more seriously into a salt water generator (SWG) if I couldn't add the proper amount of chlorine on a regular basis.

I hear you on that! My chlorine is right up the road and on the way home so it is easy to get to and only costs me $21.76 for 10 gallons (4 2.5 gal jugs) of 11%. I have found it is closer to 13% most times though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.