New Build - Central PA (First Time Pool Owner)

I am also looking forward to your AB photos! Can you comment on the what the additional cost was to go AB vs Pebble?

bpool...I can't really comment on the additional cost of going AB vs. Pebble due to the fact that we had AB priced into our project from the very beginning so I never priced out Pebble, plaster, etc.

Things have been progressing with our pool. We have a concrete shell now (poured about 10 days ago). Things have been slow for a while but we did meet with the PB today to pick out our AB color and water-line tile. We've decided to go with Blue Lagoon as our pool color. PB talked us out of the Blue Mist color stating that when it is installed it reminds him of an above ground liner color.

I've been meeting to post more photos. Hopefully, I can do that in the next few days.

Some new photos.....shell is in and has cured about 10 days. Awaiting electric, tiling and decking. Decided on the Blue Lagoon AquaBright color. One of the pics attached shows our tile/AB color combination.

Attachments

• IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 209
I did not know the AB could look like that! Do they add something to it for the pebble look? That will go great with the tile!

Kim:kim:

Most of the AB colors have that grainy speckled look. With that said, they just recently slightly modified many of the colors to add some more speckles. We were initially leaning towards the Blue Mist AB color but based on the pool building recommendations we back away from it as he suggested the Blue Mist kind of looks like a cheaper above ground liner. He did say the new formulation of the Blue Mist color (with added speckles) is intended to try to address that issue.

As far as the tile and AB choices, I think they look pretty good together. I'm a first timer when it comes to selection though so please feel free to offer any thoughts regarding our selections.

That looks so good together I think I am going to lock it in for you! I have the key just in case you change your mind but I really think you have nailed it!

dbtgallery.php

Thanks for the pictures!

So I understand that there needs to be a brown coat over the gunnite - are they going to come back with another coat of plaster over what we see in the pictures?

Good choice on the tile - looks great

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the pictures!

So I understand that there needs to be a brown coat over the gunnite - are they going to come back with another coat of plaster over what we see in the pictures?

im not really sure how this goes from here on out. The concrete shell is extremely rough so I'm assuming there is another coat but not sure. Maybe our AquaBright experts can explain the next step for both of us. I'll play more photos as it happens.

A few more construction photos:

(1) Tile went in on Friday so the first few show how it looks. I think it will look great once the AquaBright finish goes in.

(2) Added a few pictures of our equipment pad that went it Wednesday last week. When the project is done, this pad wil be hidden behind a small 10x12 pool shed (will be 5-6 weeks until that rolls onsite)

(3) Last two photos are photos of the almost completed retaining wall of a Japanese Maple that we moved from between the location of the pool and the house to open up the sight lines form the house. We were extremely concerned with moving the tree at this time of the year and were given a probability of 50%/50% that it would survive. Its been nearly 3 weeks and the leaves are looking great so we are hoping its going to make it. I'm sure the wet, dreary Spring we've had in PA this year has been a godsend for that tree even if it has been a pain in the butt for trying to get the pool completed.

We are hopeful that our concrete decking will go in this week and the electrical will be finished then all that is really left for the PB is the AB installation. Fingers are crossed we can get that done before my daughter graduates from HS.

BTW, the shed you see in all of the photos is being moved this week to the back of our property to get it away from the pool. That's our lawn equipment/storage shed.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4059.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4054.jpg
    IMG_4054.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for the pictures!

bpool.....I did talk to the PB about this. The AB installation at this point is a three step process. First they will put on plaster. They then will do what is called a flocking coat of the AB and then they will do the final coat! They said that the AB process is very weather sensitive so I'm worried, with all of the rain we've been getting, just when we might have a completed pool.

What an interesting tile! I can't wait to see with the AB!

That tree does look happy! We have one member that swears by crushed up aspirin in water for transplanted or stressed plants. Might want to look that up and see what you find.

Hi Psualum, Everything ties in so well together. It really looks great. Can you tell me the material the retaining wall is made of and where you got it from? Thanks.

Hey Tony.....the retaining wall is pure concrete. Its gray in color. The block is made by Versa-Lok. You can find their website at Retaining Wall Blocks for Every Landscaping Need; Reliable and Beautiful. | VERSA-LOK Retaining Wall Systems. I actually bought my block from a local block company that carries all brands, .... ie. EP Henry, Versa-Lok, etc. If you look at the Versa-Loc site there is a link to local dealers and hopefully one is near you. The stuff has been pretty good to work with other than the fact that each block weighs about 85 pounds. Its a workout building one of these things! BTW, thanks for the kind words about everything tying together. Hopefully once the concrete goes in it all still looks good together!

- - - Updated - - -

What an interesting tile! I can't wait to see with the AB!

That tree does look happy! We have one member that swears by crushed up aspirin in water for transplanted or stressed plants. Might want to look that up and see what you find.

Kim...we agree....the tree is really looking good considering the trauma it went through. It took to guys in their early 20's 2 days to dig out the root balll. They had to hand dig it out due to the prior location of the tree. We've given it as much tender loving care to keep it alive and hope that the investment in the move pays off. Fingers crossed!

I feel for you with trees. We have 2 very large live oaks behind the house and they have determined how our pool was designed as so much thought was given to impact the trees as little as possible. We even had county arborist out to check out our site and everything before they would ok the permit. Glad your tree is seeming to do ok. I think you will know for sure in 6 months.

Yes, that tree is quite unique with that split personality and all! Of course keep it well/deep watered this year. And don't forget about it next year either if the weather gets dry. It won't be back up to full speed yet. Especially as it attempts to supply water to next spring's flush of new growth.

I love your tile and can't wait to see it with AB installed!

Concrete arrived somewhat unexpectedly Wednesday morning. :) Looks like base coat for our AB will be coming Monday. Really hoping for water by the end of the week. Big high school graduation party on Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 68

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.