Hello From Florida

Another "service" we offer is to tell you what you have! Take and share some pics of your equipment and any models and such you can see on them! That will really help us help you the most now.

Okay homework time for today! Look at this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Now tell me what your minimum FC should be and what your target FC for your CYA of 70.................

Please pick up some bleach on the way home. I would get 5 gallons to get you through the weekend. You need to get some in NOW befor algae gets a foothold.

Kim:kim:

It looks like my minimum should be 5 with a target of 8-10. Right?

Here's the picture you requested of the deep end.
AF1QipMoZcsuwWGXHXcAdx8yjcFUeuRn3QPG1t4AR2CyEK3DzOay0gyXHQGXknUnAAOtxA

That is awesome looking water! It is very clear!

Find which one is the best price. Store bleach will be 8.25% and pool store chlorine (same stuff just different %) will be around 11%. They both work but you will want the one that is easiest for you to get.

Yes pick up some muriatic acid to have. It is good to have it around to work on the PH and TA when you are ready to do that. BUT make sure to find a place that is well ventilated that is not around metal (the fumes can cause rust) to store it. It should not be stored around the chlorine as they do not play well together.

That is awesome looking water! It is very clear!

Find which one is the best price. Store bleach will be 8.25% and pool store chlorine (same stuff just different %) will be around 11%. They both work but you will want the one that is easiest for you to get.

Yes pick up some muriatic acid to have. It is good to have it around to work on the PH and TA when you are ready to do that. BUT make sure to find a place that is well ventilated that is not around metal (the fumes can cause rust) to store it. It should not be stored around the chlorine as they do not play well together.

I stopped by the pool store and picked up the chlorine there. It's 10%. I checked my FC again and it was down to a 2. So, based on my CYA number of 70, I aimed to get my FC up to a 9. I added like 83oz of chlorine. Can't remember if 83 was the exact number, but it was right around there. Does that all sounds right?

Also, the girl at the pool store made me feel stupid for buying the liquid chlorine. She was really pushing some sort of powdered bleach. She said it's much stronger and last much longer. Is she right? Did I screw up?

Lastly, the acid she sold me is hydrochloric acid. She said it's the same thing as muriatuc. Is that true?

I plan to add the acid tomorrow to get the ph levels better.

I'm loaded with questions. Maybe it's time I started that "Just getting started" thread?

That acid is the same as muriatic acid so you are good there. Use care and wear eye protection. Watch the fumes and try to be up wind if possible.

I am SO sorry she made you feel stupid! She is the stupid one! I am willing to bet she has NO idea of the relationship between CYA and FC. All of the powder stuff adds other stuff to the water like CYA or calcium. After a while your pool will have to be drained and refilled to get rid of it.

The 83oz sounds about right. I have a plastic 2 cup measuring cup for adding this stuff. In fact I have two. One just for muratic acid as I do not want to take a chance of the chlorine playing with the M.A.

I do think it is time you start a :Just getting started" tread. You are ready for it!

:hug: