New owner-builder (kinda) in Arizona

If you're going to put in a suction port (and I'd encourage it personally), make sure it's in a logical place, near the middle of the longest pool wall! Some mental genius put mine near one end of my pool, on the long side of the kidney, and that means if I put enough hose on the Kreepy to allow it to get all the way to the shallow end, it gets stuck on the hump on the short side of the kidney :grrrr: So I just brush the little 3x3' area that it can't reach into the areas that it can and that takes care of the problem, but it's frustrating.

My pool growing up had the port near the middle of the longest wall and it worked much better that way.

The "V" near the skimmer is the suction port. I wonder if that location is okay? Seems alright & less noticeable. Let me know what you think.
Also, I think I'm going to have them shrink the Baja step to 9X10, 11X11 seems a little large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking to put loungers on the Baja step? Lay out some towels the size of the loungers you are thinking of getting them "draw" the step out around them to see which side works for you. Think about the fact that the Baja step will be the main access into and out of the pool. Will there be room for others walking around the loungers to get to the pool?

The port looks like it is in the purrfect spot.

Kim:kim:

Are you looking to put loungers on the Baja step? Lay out some towels the size of the loungers you are thinking of getting them "draw" the step out around them to see which side works for you. Think about the fact that the Baja step will be the main access into and out of the pool. Will there be room for others walking around the loungers to get to the pool?

The port looks like it is in the purrfect spot.

I was thinking about looking for chairs & loungers I want to use on the Baja step, so I can check the size. I have the pool drawn out with an electrical cord in the yard.

Any ideas about where to find them for a reasonable price? I've seen super pricey ones, but I'm hoping I can find some cheaper ones!

I'm still up in the air about decking material. I see you're in Tucson, what do you have? It seems like travertine is popular, but I'm wondering if it's slippery.

Thanks for your ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are some random thoughts:
- You should really consider SWG. I know that you mentioned chlorine seems fine to you, but I have to tell you that the SWG makes pool maintenance so much easier (acid is the main thing I have to ever do with my pool)
- the Polaris 360 cleaner doesn't require a separate booster. I have it and like it
- you might consider some water feature on there. For example, doing owner builder the cost to add a raised beam with a waterfall on the long side there would probably add less than $500
- you'll probably find that concrete with sun deck is going to be the cheaper option and cool for feet
- that space in the design where you have the table and chairs screams to me of a firepit there (or at least a fire pit table)
- regarding automation, if you don't have a spa and your pool equipment isn't super far away, it's probably not going to be worth it for you. If you get a decent pump, it will have a built in timer for setting speeds at various times of the day and that would probably be enough

I did owner builder and it was a great experience. Expect stress, but if you enjoy project planning, it can be really fun. Good luck.

One quick note that a couple of us owner builders have learned: after plumbing is done, get system pressurized and monitor the psi at each milestone (before gunite, before patio, etc). With so many people working on your pool you'll want to make sure nobody compromises its integrity.

I'm still open to SWG... the designer put that table there, but I am planning on a fire pit of some sort in there!
Not sure about the water feature - I suppose I could run it by him. I think they look beautiful, but I tend to keep things simple & hopefully close to my budget.
No need for automation? That's kind of what I thought, especially since I don't have too many bells & whistles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We tend to go with the Lowes plastic stuff here. We gave up on the upper end stuff as it just does not last either the sun or the cats. I don't mind throwing out and starting over when it is not $$$ to buy in the first place.

The "V" near the skimmer is the suction port. I wonder if that location is okay? Seems alright & less noticeable. Let me know what you think.
Also, I think I'm going to have them shrink the Baja step to 9X10, 11X11 seems a little large.

Personally I think you'll have problems with it reaching all the way to the far end while still not getting too much hose mounded up in the nearer end, but I'm definitely not an expert on these things.

That setup reminds me a lot of the placement on my pool and I don't like it. Were it me, I'd ask about relocating it to the opposite wall, near the center of that bump.

Sounds good! Like I said, I'm not an expert, but if you're wanting to run an automated suction cleaner, having a relatively even length of hose in either direction (plus or minus a foot or two) is key to getting full coverage.

Sounds good! Like I said, I'm not an expert, but if you're wanting to run an automated suction cleaner, having a relatively even length of hose in either direction (plus or minus a foot or two) is key to getting full coverage.

I tweaked a couple things on the design.
The suction port is in the middle now :) I got rid of that long bench that didn't make sense at a 12" water depth. Now there is one in the shallow end instead. Also, shrunk the Baja step to 10'X9.5'

Waiting for the plans!

NICE! I like it!

Kim::kim:

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get some input on tile/equipment/decking/interior finishes, etc.

I'm thinking Stonescapes mini pebble - medium blue, possibly electric blue, sky blue or Caribbean blue. It so tough to know!
I'm thinking a rich blue waterline tile & something with some sparkle for the Baja & benches.

Not sure about decking, but leaning towards travertine, but worried it will be slippery.

I will need a lot of help!

Everyone has been so great so far, & this group is an amazing wealth of knowledge!!

Re: Waterline tile suggestions with Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen? LED lights worth it?

Here are some photos of the arctic ice 1x1. Note that they are installed over pale grey thinset and have pale grey grout (as opposed to white).

The overall effect gives a silvery sheen. Also, the tiles seem to take on the colors that surround them so they blend well with the water color whether it appears bright blue or greenish teal as it does at different times of day. At night, they reflect the moonlight and the step markers are quite bright (like lights).

If you want more color contrast, arctic lagoon would be a good choice. I wanted the tiles to blend in and am happy with the effect of the ice tiles.

Attachments

• tile1.jpg
    tile1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 270
  • tile3.jpg
    tile3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 267
  • tile2.jpg
    tile2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 265
  • tile4.jpg
    tile4.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 270

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.