First Time Pool Owner (Bidding Stage) - Cypress, TX

Gacontreras

Silver Supporter
Mar 13, 2017
Cypress
We have just started looking into building a pool and I happen to stubble on to this website. So far we have discuss our plans with 2 PB and they have supplied us quotes and layouts. However, one builder was providing Salt Water and the other chlorine. (I understand that both pools are chlorine pools but it is how the chlorine is generated - thanks to this website :)) After several days of reading through the forums, I am convenience that SWG is what I would prefer to get. Still looking for another 1 or 2 PB to get quotes specifically tailored to SWG. Below is our current design and equipment that is being offered by the PB that was proposing to a SW pool.

Pool
Size Ave.- 32’ x 18’
Perimeter – 111’
Sq. ft. – 576
Depth – 3’6”’– 4’ – 6’
Gallons – 14,930
Fill line – auto
Over flow – yes to drains
Raised beam – 6”& 12” finished w/Split Face
Columns – (2) 2’x 2’ - 18” tall
Returns - 6
Skimmers - 2
Main Drains - 4
Pool light – (2) – LED Colored IntelliBrite
Plaster – Pebble Sheen (Level 1 Color)

Equipment
Pump – IntelliFlo Variable Speed
Filter – 420 Cartridge (Pentair) - (Based on the size of the pool should I go to the 520?)
Falls pump – 1.5 HP WhisperFlo (Pentair)
Cleaner Booster Pump – ¾ HP - (Deleting and getting a robotic cleaner)
Cleaner – Racer (Pentair) - (Deleting and getting a robotic cleaner)
Heater – 400,000 BTU (Pentair)
Chlorinator – IntelliChlor Salt System (I need to confirm the size but I am assuming it is the IC40)
Blower – 1.5 HP Silencer
Acid Tank - IntelliPH - (Is this really necessary???)
Automated System – EasyTouch 8 wireless

Water Features
Sheer Descent – (3) 2ft
Bubbler – (2) on tanning ledge

SPA
Size – 8’ x 6’ w/ BI-level seating
Raised – 9”
Returns – (6) Hydro Air Jets
Air Button Switch – Yes
Spillway – 360 Vanishing Edge

View attachment 57921
View attachment 57921

Are there any PB that people would recommend in the Cypress/Houston area for SWG pools? Any input on the layout or things that we should be looking for in the quotes?

Thanks in advance.

Okie doke- sounds like a nice pool!

No, the acid injector isn't necessary. Some folks say the SWG pools use more acid as they seem to encourage the pH to rise, but mine doesn't. I rarely have to add any.
I'd rather do it myself than risk a mechanical device mis-firing and dumping its entire contents into my pool! I'm low tech that way.

The cartridge filter is ok, but bigger means you can go longer between cleaning them out. That's a plus in my book!

Great call on the robot. Saves buying and managing a separate pump too.

Get the PB to spell out the size of the SWG. Bigger is better :) We recommend one 2-3x the volume of the pool as this extends the life of the cell (theoretically).

Yippee :flower:

Hi! Thanks for letting us help spend your money!

I do not see any pictures :( Please try again. If you become a supporting member you get to use the Photo Gallery and get a discount on the test kit and help us keep the lights on so it is a win-win!

I would talk to the other PB if you liked him about doing a SWG. Let him give it a shot.

I would try to get a couple of other quotes and share them here so we can look them over.

I can tell you have been busy reading! NICE!

Kim:kim:

Ga,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for your pool build questions... :testkit:

I have a pool about the same size and would recommend the larger 520 filter. I only clean mine twice a year, and probably could get away with once a year.

I have only owned robots and think they are great.. That said, it would be wise to have your PB install the plumbing for suction side vacuum port, controlled by a Jandy valve at the equipment pad, just in case the need should ever arise. The additional cost would be next to nothing, as it is not much more than a piece of pipe with a valve on one end.

I have the IC40 and it works great. In the middle of the summer I have to crank it up to about 60%. When I have to replace it I plan on getting the IC60, only because I can run it a lower percentage of output. In "theory" it should last longer. Not sure you know this already, but SWCG's don't produce chlorine whenever the water temperature falls below about 55 degrees. So in the winter, plan on manually adding Liquid Chlorine/Bleach.

Good job on getting the EasyTouch 8 as the ET4 (what I have) just does not have enough relays...

Suggest that you make sure the PB plumbs your bubblers and sheer descents on different Jandy valves at the equipment pad. You will want to have the ability to automatically turn them on and off. I say this because aeration will force your pH to increase. So after the newness wears off you'll want to shut one or both of them off when not enjoying your pool.

You don't really need an acid injector, but some people swear by them. I manually add Muriatic acid to my pool and only have to do it every two to six weeks depending the on the time of the year. The once advantage I see is that if you want to have your water features on all the time, the injector will help keep the pH increase in check.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Wow.

If I could start my pool over from scratch that is exactly what I would do. I'm specifically looking at the bench, sun shelf and enclosed spa.

I'll throw out a couple of things I don't think most people think about when building, just as something to chew on.

Returns and skimmers, I see you have 6/2. Good. Make sure they are placed strategically. Skimmers downwind, returns not leaving any dead spots.

Which way is west? Prime pool time is lunch to sunset. I have memorized the arc the sun travels in the afternoon, I know exactly when the overhead tree stops blocking it and the tree across from the pool starts. I know I have to move my chair over a little bit every hour. I''d sit where you are going to sit at 2-3 pm and imagine.

Unless you are planning on swimming year round, I hope you can stand on the spa to brush that wall. Otherwise you won't be able to get to it without getting in.

That's going to be a really nice pool.

I finally got to your build thread! Wow! I love your plans - great size, great water features, love your design, and nice placement in the yard. Did you get a chance to contact any of the builders I sent? I'm curious to know who is still building in the Cypress area. I suspect the Grand Parkway new home developments may have kept several of them busy up north and northwest of us. Kara5050 from Cypress probably has a better line on the PB's to contact this year.

I agree with the others on going up a size on the filter and swcg if you can. And the robots are great!

Can't wait for dig day!!!
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.