Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello good people,
So I wish I had the insight to find you before my build, but hey, better late than never. Over all I had a good experience with my PB and I'm very happy with the design my wife and myself came up with. Currently we are in the middle of our 30 day wait before adding salt. I'm determined to control the maintenance of our pool myself. I'm an IBEW Union Electrician and love to tackle these challenges on my own. But like anything the things we're unfamiliar with can always use a little help. This group has already been stellar in helping as I learn pool chemistry. I'm also introducing myself so as to check my signature. It was recommended to put all my pool info to better help in answering questions.

I still have many questions and look forward to consulting and just checking out what everyone has done with their pools.

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 62
Jed,

A good job on the signature....

And a great looking pool. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

edit... It appears that you do not have automation... If so, how are you keeping your SWCG from turning on when the pump is off???

Well thanks all! I Will add the Test to my sig, thanks Kim. It's the Taylor Complete K-2006. Jim: OK, let's talk about that please. Next on top of my list of questions was going to be about the SWG Unit anyway. So currently I have the unit disconnected and it is not running during the 30 days start up period. I have not thought about this. I guess I assumed it was somehow wired into the pump. I did not do the wiring from my panel to the pool equipment I let them handle that. I guess I just assumed it was okay for the generator to do whatever it does when the pump is not running. Nobody from the pool company ever explained to me that and automation panel MUST be put in to control the salt water generator. I'm guessing you're about to tell me that that's a problem an I am going to need to automate that because it can't continue to run when the pump is turned off? Good to find that now before the salt is in. Thx for your info in advance.

Sparky

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Also Jim, Lmk if I should paste and post new in a different topic thread like "pool equipment"

I've heard of a number of PBs that rely on the flow switch to allow the SWG to generate. Mine was setup that way until I changed it.
pabeader: how long did you leave it set up that way before you changed it?

I hate to admit it. I just changed it like last week. We've lived in this house since I started with TFPC. Over 2 years plus who knows how long for previous tenants.
The problem with relying on the switch. If it fails and tells the unit to generate without flow, very bad things can happen.

Jed,

You do not need automation... A simple external timer will work fine. You set the external timer to mirror the pump's schedule, but allow some overlap on each side so that the SWCG is never on when the pump is off.

As Bob pointed out, some PBs use the flow switch to do this. The flow switch is supposed to be the secondary safety device. This was not a problem with single speed pumps because one timer would turn on both the pump and SWCG at the same time.

This is not the case with a variable speed pumps.

I would contact your PB and tell him to fix it. If you look in the SWCG's manual it is very clear how it should be done on page 3, in my manual anyway...

Tell your PB you want it done right..

I would not let this stop you from starting up your salt system, but you really need to have it wired correctly. The sooner, the better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thx. Well, if I need to add a timer I might as well just add the automation system. I'm an electrician and shout be able to figure the installation out. I'm kinda done with the PB at this point, he did a great job with the build but completely left me in the dark about start up and this SWG system. Thanks again for this invaluable information. I'll check with Pentair and see which automation system they recommend.

I added your test kit for you!

Can you please make a new thread in SWG to help others learn. For others learning will you please post a picture of how your SWG is set up now with the heading of NOT how it should be done and then again when it is done the correct way. Others can learn from you.

:hug: I am SO glad you found TFP just in time!

Kim:kim:

The yard/house is new and the drainage for yard is very good. Though no drainage in that particular spot, we did have 20 year record rains several weeks back, the front side drains handled everything well and when we do the landscaping I will add some rear drainage.