Where do we start?

My wife and I recently bought a "fixer upper" house, as avid DIY-ers we don't fear much. When we bought the home the pool was covered pretty tightly, all that we could see in one corner was that it was full and green-with the background knowledge it had been sitting for a year, this didn't seem too problematic. With the swimming season approaching quickly here in Florida and 3 kids chomping at the bit to get our pool in swimming condition, we decided to get this pool up and running. We have never owned an in-ground pool and replastering isn't in our budget for atleast a year.

We have drained the pool completely (understanding the dangers of a floating pool we are hoping to repair and fill as quickly as possible). Upon draining we hosed it down to removed the sledge like muck left behind, which in turn chipped away at some worn area of Diamond Brite finish, one spot all they way to the plaster (See pics)

We next did the check for hollowness and found one spot in the shallow end about 12"x8"

I've read about doing an acid wash and am confident I can do this without problem. But where do I start in this bigger than we bargained for pool fix? Hoping some guidance from others will get us through this task.
Thank You
-Overwhelmed

HI there FL! So nice to see you! We will get you all set up!

I don't think I would do an acid wash if your plaster is already showing signs of "stress". The acid is acid and will "wear" away more of the plaster.

The hallow spot-if it worries you you can chip it out and add pool putty. If you do a search in the white search box above you will find many ideas. One is JB weld.

Kim:kim:

If you plan to do a re-plaster in a year or so, I would just leave the hollow spots alone.

I say this after having two pools re-plastered. When they redid the plaster they found plenty of hollow spot that got chipped out. But.. if we had not had the pool re-plastered, we would have never known.

I guess my point is do as little damage as you can now, and get the pool re-plastered next year.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you Marlahoutex!

Update:Bad spots patched and we have the pool filled with water from our well. Now for the next steps of learning how to get it chemcically balanced and maintain. I'm glad I found this forum before heading to Leslie's for chemicals. All we've done for the last 4 days is dump a jug of household bleach in. We don't have a test kit yet, I looked at TFP test kits but the one I was looking at is out of stock, could anyone point me I the right direction for that? I'll try and get a pic of our system to, it's all quite foreign. I determined our spa is missing a pump but pool and spa both have filtration systems. Water seems to circulate and cycle properly through the spa & pool. I've figured the timer out but not sure how frequently I should have that going its currently set to run for a couple hours 8am & 8pm. I'm on the lookout for recommended pool vacuums. I've started reading the TFP ABC's. My kids are chomping at the bit to get swimming it, I just need to get a handle on it all and know when it's safe to swim. All help appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I have just the thing for you!!!! I have a set of links I put together just for new pool owners! It is a lot of info so take it a bite at a time:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Test kit-I think the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck. It had Taylor's test regents BUT set up to follow the TFP testing by having more of the regents we use on a daily bases.

Vacuum- there are SO many at many different price points. I will point you to a thread where they talk about a robot everyone seems to love:

What brand of robots would you recommend?

I don't know how deep your wallet is with just having bought a house. If you need a lower price point I can help you find one that would work for you but not quite as good of job as the robot.

I think I covered everything. LOL let me know if I left anything out!

Update: Just tested the pool water after adding the suggested amounts of chlorine, calcium increaser and stabilizer over the past couple days. The numbers I think are looking good besides the TA? I tried to upload a current photo to show the pool is fairly clear, you can see the bottom but there is a slight dullness to to the appearance. Im getting a messeage saying Ive exceeded my upload quota for trouble free pool?
FC=6.5
CC=.5
TC=7
PH=7.4
TA=190
CH=300
CYA=45
Borate=30
What are your thoughts? If there is a way I can post I pic please let me know :)

Two ways for more pics:

-Become a supporting member! The blue oval up top is how. You get a discount on the test stuff and at Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com
AND we get to keep the lights one!

-Use photobucket or such using the IMG code.

Your numbers look good. Yes the TA is high. Here is a link to how to work on that. It is a process what takes some time but will be worth it:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.