SWG and astro turf/Synthetic

dsnedeker

Gold Supporter
Mar 11, 2017
Mesa, AZ
We are looking at building a pool. The wife would like Pebble Tec and wants a SWG installed. We are thinking about installing astro turf up to the pool instead of stone or concrete decking.

Does anyone know if the salt will cause any issues with the astro turf or is it mainly just relegated to metal and concrete or stone?

Thanks,
David

D,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions.. :snorkle:

SWCG's have very little, if any, detrimental effects on concrete or most stones. Unless in direct contact with the water, and not made for outdoor use, I doubt metals would either.

I can't see it having any effect on Astroturf, but not something that gets asked often, so we will see what others have to say....

In my mind, (small as it is...) I can't see how you would be able to run Astroturf up to the pool edge. I can see having coping around the pool and then Astroturf..

I would think that the water line tile would have to butt up against something solid like coping or deck material. What would be your plan?

Why do you believe that there would be some conflict with a saltwater pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I have 800sf of turf and I LOVE IT!! Though it is not near the pool.

As long as it is a nationally recognized, high quality brand of turf, I don't see why salt would affect it. Chlorine might degrade it a little faster, especially the UV stabilizers but a quick call to the turf manufacturer should clear up whether it can be used around a pool.

You're biggest issues around the pool will be water erosion of the sub-surface grade (typically decomposed granite) and loss of infill from the turf into the pool. Infill is necessary component of the turf to give a realistic look and feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping to run it up to the coping, or we were also looking at actually having it above the ground about 10-12 inches to aide in debris (leaves) not blowing in as much . I know typically it is a different material used for decking. I liked the astro turf look ran to the coping instead of stone or concrete etc. With the exorbitant cost of astro turf I just wanted to be sure no one was aware of any issues they had heard of from a scenario like this.

I've seen pools built with stone/pavers and what was either grass or turf up to the pool. Looks very classy.

I would suggest some kind of paver layout around the pool to break up the turf around it. I think having solid turf all the way up to the pool would look to monolithic. Maybe add 3'x3' paver pads around the perimeter to act as a pathway or stepping stones. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem will be with the fill, rubber crumbs or cork, will constantly be in the pool. You start walking on the turf with wet feet and there is no doubt that the fill will be in the pool.

I suggest for you to step on some with bare feet while it is hot, artificial turf can get extremely hot to the touch.

Thoughts to consider for sure. I think in the dead of summer here in Phoenix pavers, astro, or decking is going to require shoes on it. So it is a gamble either direction we pursue. But if filler material is going to end up in the pool standard decking might be best.

Thank you all for your input.
David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.