Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use up my CalHypo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I use up my CalHypo?

After finally getting my CYA under control with a year of nothing but bleach (Clorox) can I use up the 73% CalHypo I have from the pool store as long as I follow PoolMath? No stabilizer there right? Thanks.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Trichlor/Dichlor CYA chart?

No but you are adding calcium. What is your CH reading?
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Trichlor/Dichlor CYA chart?

250 a couple of days ago.
    12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Re: Can I use up my CalHypo?

Can you post a full set of results? How hard is your water there?
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

FC 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 80
    CH 250
    CYA 70

Neither hard or soft I believe.

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay with me. Can anybody watch that? I could bring Calvin if he has interest. Went by your house today but didn't have any balls. Looks like and underground pipe broke in your area.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

From your numbers and I've assumed water temp of around 60F, you are around -0.4 CSI so that you means that you should be right to add some CalHypo. How much have you got available/planning to add?

Your CSI number will also go upwards as the water warms up but then you can then work on bringing your TA back to 60 if is starts getting too high which should also help to stabilise the upward movement of your pH.
    K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Really, I should just dump it right?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I think the best way to do it is grab a bucket and fill it with water and pour in the CalHypo and mix well. Pour it in front of a return and any undissolved stuff sitting on the bottom of the bucket just refill with water and repeat the process until it's gone. If any gets left on the bottom of the pool just brush it up.
    K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

No. I mean throw it away and just stick to bkeach.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

No I would use it - it should be fine to use. Just be careful of how much you dump in.
    K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    No. I mean throw it away and just stick to bkeach.
    How much cal-hypo are we talking about? One pound (16oz) of 73% Cal-hypo will add 6.2ppm to FC and 4.4ppm to CH. If you used 5 pounds over the course of a few weeks you would add 22ppm to your CH.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    Okay with me. Can anybody watch that? I could bring Calvin if he has interest. Went by your house today but didn't have any balls. Looks like and underground pipe broke in your area.
    I'm guessing wrong thread?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I would spread it out over a few weeks as in domct203's format when you need a shot of Chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    How much cal-hypo are we talking about? One pound (16oz) of 73% Cal-hypo will add 6.2ppm to FC and 4.4ppm to CH. If you used 5 pounds over the course of a few weeks you would add 22ppm to your CH.

I'm guessing wrong thread?
    Yes.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone. I'm going to dispose of the Cal-hypo and stick to bleach. Why mess with what works?

16. Back To Top    #16

It works just as well. Obviously your business, but I would rather use it than waste it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem