Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run Polaris 280?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run Polaris 280?

Hello, I am a new pool owner. Our pool tech told us we can mostly leave our Polaris 280 in the pool except when we want to swim. He also recommended 2 to 3 hours a day of cleaning. Is this recommended? What run times should I be looking at for more efficiency?

Thank you!
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run Polaris 280?

Ju,

You only need to run it when the pool floor is dirty with dust, sand, leaves, etc. This is another thing that is really dependent on your pool, your location, etc.

I have a robot, not a water powered cleaner, but I usually clean my pool about once every three days on average.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, that helps a lot - thanks!!
    First time pool owner
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Polaris 280. Since we have a lot of surrounding trees, I usually run it at least 4 days a week. Each run takes 2-3 hours to completely clean the pool.

Hope this helps.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 w/booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/Taylor test kits/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes it does! I'm in Houston and in my area, there is a lot of pollen and debris from surrounding trees. I was just surprised the tech told me to run daily at 2 to 3 hours. The above sounds much more reasonable!
    First time pool owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Part of what will determine how often you run it is your tolerance for debris in the pool. I have a low tolerance.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 w/booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/Taylor test kits/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a auto pool cover and only run it about an hour after having the pool open. I also would suggest the silt bag which picks up the finer debris.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Is the silt bag a part I can purchase for the Polaris 280?

Also, is it ok for me to leave it in the pool when not in use or better to take out after use?
    First time pool owner

9. Back To Top    #9

https://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-K14-Sa...olaris+280+bag

I leave mine in the pool. I've had mine since May 2012 and haven't noticed any issues relating to leaving it in the pool. That said, I'm a stickler for keeping water chemistry balanced which I'm sure helps.

10. Back To Top    #10

I keep my 280 in the pool all summer long unless I have a party with a lot of people than I take it out. You can buy the silt bag on amazon for the Polaris 280.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

11. Back To Top    #11

Our Polaris 280 (aka "Splash") lives in the pool year round. He comes out and sits on the deck next to pool when we are swimming, then right back in. For rare fancy guests he gets banished behind the pump house.

I run it about 2 hours daily using an ancient mechanical timer; that seems to keep my 17x35 pool pretty clean. When I get a fancy automation with phone control, I might not run it every day, at least skipping days when the solar cover is on. The booster pump draws about 1100 watts, so 2 hours at my $0.18/kWh is around 40 cents a day, or $146 a year. With better skip-day control I'd probably run it half or less between days we don't take the cover off in the summer and only running it on weekends when I can change the bag more often in the leafy winter.

One tip -- the bag is a lot easier to shake out when it has dried in the sun for a couple hours, so take advantage of swim times to empty out the bag even if not full; I got a second bag so I can alternate them.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

12. Back To Top    #12

Awesome - thanks for the tips! I'll look for a second bag and try what you mentioned above.
    First time pool owner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jmastron View Post
    Our Polaris 280 (aka "Splash") lives in the pool year round. He comes out and sits on the deck next to pool when we are swimming, then right back in. For rare fancy guests he gets banished behind the pump house.

I run it about 2 hours daily using an ancient mechanical timer; that seems to keep my 17x35 pool pretty clean. When I get a fancy automation with phone control, I might not run it every day, at least skipping days when the solar cover is on. The booster pump draws about 1100 watts, so 2 hours at my $0.18/kWh is around 40 cents a day, or $146 a year. With better skip-day control I'd probably run it half or less between days we don't take the cover off in the summer and only running it on weekends when I can change the bag more often in the leafy winter.

One tip -- the bag is a lot easier to shake out when it has dried in the sun for a couple hours, so take advantage of swim times to empty out the bag even if not full; I got a second bag so I can alternate them.

Great tip about having a second bag and drying it out. I do exactly that.

14. Back To Top    #14

I run it three hours a day and leave it in all the time I get bags on amazon
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Great tip about having a second bag and drying it out. I do exactly that.
    Me too, except its with filters for the Dolphin. Always a good thing to keep a watch on and be prepared with extras. Never know when one will go bad on you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

16. Back To Top    #16

Just ordered one on Amazon! I tried cleaning out the bag the other day and it was quite tedious to remove the wet debris. Next time I will just switch it out and wait for it to dry.

I do have a question about my Polaris - our pool is only 2+ weeks new - the pool tech had said it's ok to run so we ran it for two days. I then removed it after I read that we need to wait. How long is the recommended wait before running an automatic cleaner? We have quartz plaster.
    First time pool owner