SWG Sizing and questions about SWG

chief_rocker

Jul 22, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
At my wife's request I am debating switching the pool to SWG this year. I am a little confused as to getting the right SWG for the pool. Its above ground, about 12.5 Gallons . I have solar heat so I run the pump during daylight hours, about 9-10 hours a day. I don't run it at night to maintain heat, the the kids like the pool to be more like a hot tub, lol.

I am looking at the hayward salt and swim 3c which says it good for up to 23K.
Am I correct in understanding the 23K is only if the pump is run for 24hrs constantly?
If I only run the pump for 10 hours would I need a larger unit?
From what I can see, larger units are for inground pools and I would need to then bond the pool, which at this point is difficult since 1/2 of is covered by decking around. Do they need to be bonded to work properly?
Thanks in advance!

chief,

Our recommendation is that the SWCG be about 2 x the size of your pool. So, based upon that, a SWCG that is rated for 23K should work fine on a 12.5K pool. The reason that we recommend a 2 x SWCG is because of what you said about the rating being make at 100% 24/7.

A SWCG should be powered by a GFCI outlet but I don't believe that you need to bond it.

The bigger the SWCG, the lower the percent of output you can use and the less run time you will need.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.