Replace motor or pump?

May 10, 2016
Oro Valley, Arizona
It looks like my pool pump motor has finally died forever. I want to see if it's possible and will save money to just replace the motor with a 2 speed motor or if I am better off just replacing the entire pump.

The 2-speed pool pump motors run for about $350.00 while the entire pump runs for about $475. I am not sure if it's worth saving the $175 and replacing just the motor.

This is the motor in question.
SQ1152
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-SQ1152-Service-Capacitor-Enclosure/dp/B007ATO26W

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
I forgot to give a background of what happened.

1. Summer of 2016. Pool motor would make a humming sound and would not start. I replaced the start capacitor and pool pump worked fine until now.
2. February 2017. Pool pump would start for about 3 seconds and then shut off.
3. Replaced bearings and seals. No change
4. Replaced run capacitor. No change
5. Next steps, replace motor or pump

I would like to use a 2-speed motor/pump, but can't decide what will be the best option.

Dropbox - IMG_3818.JPG

If I do replace the pool pump, this is the best option that I found but please let me know what you think and any suggestions on what other pool pumps would be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340042-Performance-Efficient-Horsepower/dp/B002FQIYBY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1488907916&sr=1-1&keywords=Pentair+340042

I agree, replacing just the motor is pretty simple. I have already removed and installed the current motor twice.
My question is if it's better to just replace the motor with an equivalent motor or would prefer a 2-speed motor. Knowing that the pool pump is 13 years old, it may be just better to replace the whole thing and start fresh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.