New pool owner - advice please :D

Scooped out all the floating mess i can see so far, got the brush out and cleaned up the side tops a little. When brushing its breaking up the big pieces so im going to leave it a few hours to see if any more large junk floats up.

Pump and filter i assume are working fine (only one way to tell i guess!)

Question:
You mentioned running the pump in recirculate, i guess this will basically bypass the filtering system and mix up the water? The pieces of junk are fairly big.... will there not be a possibility of getting clogged up somewhere?

It turned from black to green because it got sunlight. Scoop and scoop and scoop and brush and brush and brush as much as you can. You had mentioned about a partial drain and refill earlier to get CYA down. That would best be done now to help with the clean up as well as lower your chlorine requirements.

If a partial drain and refill doesn't float your boat, need to ensure pump is running so you can begin the SLAM process. Don't forget to take daily pictures of your stairs so you can see the progress. This will be some work, but totally doable. Have you completed a full set of tests yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, yes you did. Adjust pH down to 7.2 prior to SLAM, which is actually one of the first steps

- - - Updated - - -

Also, take note of you filter pressure, it will climb quickly with this much stuff and will require back washing quite a bit, which will drain some water. Hmmm, I might not do a partial drain and refill after all as the back washing will help with that

Thanks for your comments.

ive been out a few times today to scoop... As the water has had a mix I will run tests again tomorrow.

Would you suggest I run filter on recirculate first for say 30 mins to stir the water, then filter mode? Or should I dump it straight out to waste? (Back washing when pressure rises).

suggest to open skimmer and sump valves when running pump? Or only skimmer? I can't see bottom of pool so little worried about opening the sump valve incase it gets clogged up.

Just skim for now. Go to waste just for a bit to make sure there isn't anything in the lines. Then you need to filter and then back wash once pressure goes up 25%

Urgent help please

I have just turned on my punp and filter (first time in 18 months, new house owner).

Started filter to waste and skimmer line open only.... after a few mins i released that a drain outside the pool was overflowing (think this has been like this for a while as it explains the slightly sunken bricks on the ground). I can see water throwing through the sewer systen further on but as there is a slight block it cannot keep up.

So the above is problem 1.

Stopped pump, changed filter to backwash... start pump... filters pressure gause raised very quickly, so i stopped the pump.

The pool level has dropped a little, im worried it may be droppen even though i have everything 'back to how it was'. I ran water to waste for about 30 seconds or so.... how quick would it drain off the water?? Im prob down a inch. I hope its my eyes playing games on me.

Ok the slight scare is over - I hope!

Kept an eye on pool level and it stayed steady, I think the filter to waste really surprised me of how quick the level can drop.

Moving on, I powered on pump on and left the filter on at "filter" mode via skimmer for an hour. Has cleared up the surface of pool.

I have to replace a faulty gauge on the filter in the next few days.

As mentioned pool surface is clear, pool looks green however I cannot see the bottom - even from shallow end.

Note that I have not opened DRAIN/SUMP yet as I cannot see bottom of pool. When shall I open this valve?

What is the next step?
Retest sample water... And then SLAM?

OK, sounds like a plan.

Hopefully plan to start the SLAM on Friday as we have a few national holidays here in the UK so it will give me 4 days where I am readily available at home.

I replaced a little of the water yesterday so I assume that will only have a positive take on bringing the CYA down a bit from 60.

Thanks for every ones input so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to intrude/hijack, Steve, but can you tell me whether your successful order of the Taylor K2006C came via your eBay or poolvacparts links? Is there import duty to add and did you order additional reagents?
Many thanks, Matt

Hello again ;-)

New gauge installed
Liquid chlorine purchased - 20litres 14/15%

Few questions:

* Am I correct in thinking that the pool water level should be approx. half way up skimmer level?
* When I start to SLAM, I keep the sump/drain valve closed for the time being and only run the skimmer? Reason being I cannot see the bottom of the pool. Is this correct method?

Will add water to get to correct level before running filter for a few hours today and then do an up to date water reading test ready to SLAM tomorrow morning, so please expect another post later this evening :)

Thank you.

I have some items left over from the previous owners, a few of the are PH reducers (see image on page 1 of this thread). I guess il be ok to use these? or do these types of products have a use by date? If not I will be in a bit of a struggle to get some more for the next 4 days as its a a national holiday weekend!

I believe you'll be fine using the dry acid (pH Down) to reduce your pH. I'm afraid I haven't normally done much with acid demand tests, so start by using PoolMath to get the amount of dry acid to add to your pool to take the pH from 8 to 7.4 (a little bit of slop here just in case your pool volume is off). Dissolve the indicated amount of dry acid in a bucket of water from the pool, then, with the pump running, slowly pour the bucket into the pool in front of a water return. Wait about half an hour, and then retest to see where your pH is, adjust again to get that last bit to 7.2 (if it is not already at 7.2).

Right now I am confused.

Checked in Taylor booklet, it suggests to add 4.62lbs (2095g) of dry acid (based on 10k gallon pool and 6 drops of acid demand reagent).

Why does it differ to pool math?

I have read some articles which suggest adding it to warm water?

Do I mix all 2095 in one go? Or split it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.