Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement options for Jandy AquaPure 1400 - move to Jandy TruClear or others?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement options for Jandy AquaPure 1400 - move to Jandy TruClear or others?

Hi,

I have a 12,000 gallon in-ground pool in Austin Texas (lots of mineral in water) that was originally installed with a JandyAquaPure 1400 SWG. When itís working it seems to work well but in ten years Iíve had to replace the control board once, the flow sensor at least twice, and Iím coming up on a third replacement of the actual cell. At $500+ just for the cell, this seems excessive so Iím looking for a better solution. Or is this just the comparative cost of spending money on chlorine?

I also recently changed to a PentAir Intelliflo VS pump, so it would be nice to have a SWG that supported low flow.

I was looking at the Jandy TruClear but am having trouble finding reviews/feedback. Iím certainly open to other brands.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement options for Jandy AquaPure 1400 - move to Jandy TruClear or others?

For 10 years of use I would say that is not excessive for the most part.

Cells should last 3-5 years each so it looks like you have had normal wear from the cells. Depending on the balance of the water and how often the cell is cleaned could quickly shorten that time frame.

The sensor design has been updated and is much more reliable now. Make sure you have the latest design which supports a lower flow amount down to 20GPM.

We haven't had much feedback on the TruClear.

Before I learned about the improvements Jandy has made with the AquaPure I switched from the AquaPure to the Hayward AquaRite almost two years ago due to similar issues with sensor issues and cell life.

Without automation I would choose either Hayward or Jandy, just make sure you know the warranty terms for which unit you get. Some manufacturers have a very short warranty for self-installs.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacement options for Jandy AquaPure 1400 - move to Jandy TruClear or others?

I've been wondering the same thing lately. At 3 years and 1 month my cell died, was able to get it covered through warranty. Flow sensor just died, $240 seems to be the running price. Pools is coming up on 4yrs old in May.

Ping, can you please elaborate on:
    -- "depending on...how often the cell is cleaned could shorten life" - are you saying that cleaning decreases life? or that not cleaning regularly decreases life?
    -- "without automation i would choose Hayward or Jandy" - without automation, upkeep is a wash?

I like SWG's because of the water "feel" and very low chlorine smell. My daughters hair doesn't turn green, suits aren't fading as fast. They're definitely not cheaper to upkeep.
    22k gal - PebbleFina/Plaster - Jandy Stealth 2spd - Jandy CV460 Cartridge - N2 Fusion SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Each time a cell is cleaned with acid, the acid removes some of the plating on the plates and thus reduces the lifespan of the cell. If the plates are coated with calcium the cell does need to be cleaned. Keeping the water balanced and having the CSI a bit negative will prevent most scale from forming inside the cell.

If a pool has automation, I would get the same brand of SWG as the automation so that you will get all the functions out of the SWG and automation system.

If the pool doesn't have automation, then the Hayward or Jandy units have everything built in to them so they are easy to adjust and troubleshoot. The Hayward AquaRite is the easiest system to troubleshoot overall and a lot of pool stores have test stands to determine if a cell is good or bad.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Great feedback Ping! I admit I am sometimes lax at keeping the pool balanced. The scale seems to form pretty quickly (1-2 months) but I always thought it was just due to the mineral content in the water but there's been minimal city water added to the pool since filling 10 years ago.

"sensor design" - I'll research this but is there a quick way to check what is the latest sensor design? I think i've replaced ours at least twice.

I could definitely see value in having a SWG like Hayward that has test stands for the cell. Jandy's error codes have always been somewhat cryptic and seem more directed to having you hire a professional.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a link to InyoPools that shows the latest sensor, Zodiac Port Sensor Kit, For 3 Port Cell, 16 Cable (r0452500) - INYOPools.com.

There are workbooks on the net and linked on plenty of threads here at TFP that have troubleshooting guides for both of those systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Yes, that's the sensor I have.
    12K gal rectangular, plaster, PentAir Intelliflo VS pump, Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Polaris cleaning robot

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same pump and SWG, the SWG won't operate below like 1900rpm. So I would probably go with something that will operate lower. Hayward probably your best bet. Cheap and seems to be reliable.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Hayward will operate at 17 gpm.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    tech@hayward.com