Sand in Pool

tomaz1

Mar 4, 2017
Scottsdale
So after backwashing (a lot, trying to change out as much water as possible) I started getting sand in my pool. I can watch it trickle in with little bits of leaf and other debris. (And there are small piles under the returns. It's definitely filter sand.) Based on what I've read here, it sounds like I probably need a new lateral assembly. The filter and valve (Hayward S244T) were installed in 2003. I'm thinking of doing this myself, but have limited experience. I'm also thinking that if I'm taking the whole thing apart, I will also replace the valve.

Here's what I've found for parts:

valve $83 on Amazon
lateral assembly $63 on Amazon
sand $80 Home Depot

OR

New Filter/valve complete from $320 Amazon (plus sand)

If everything comes apart the way it's supposed to, it looks doable.

My local pool shop wants $800 to replace the whole thing. Besides labor, I figure I'm buying peace of mind.

Questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. Is there any good reason to get the whole filter/valve combo? Will the big tank wear out?
3. When I get it fixed, can I vacuum the sand up?
4. How powerful does a shop vac have to be to suck the sand out of the filter?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Besides labor, I figure I'm buying peace of mind.
You got that right. Not to mention saving some $$$. As long as your S244T is structurally sound and not weather-beaten, it should still last a good while. Many owners will remove, inspect, and replace (if necessary) laterals that may appear to be damaged. The multiport might simply need a new spider gasket and that's it. The sand is probably still good and could simply use a good deep cleaning. You might elect to swap it out since you have to empty the filter anyway, but it's your call. Once the filter is back in service, you can vacuum the pool and any residual sand no problem. As for the ShopVac, bigger is better, but take your time and work with what you have. You might be surprised and find a simple fix (i.e. one lateral) that resolves you issue.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Nice to have you with us.

Unlike a union that is designed to be removed and/or come apart, some fittings are simply a one-time good deal. Not too sure about the top pics with 2 lines going into the multiport, but the bottom pic definitely looks like a one-time item. Probably screwed-in first, then the PCV line was glued into it. You should be prepared to replace those sections and consider incorporating a union fitting for future separations if you can.
Capture.JPG

I'm replacing my Hayward SP0714T ProSeries VariFlo Top-Mount Multiport on a 35k gallon pool and was wondering if this is the correct union: Hayward SP14953S 1-1/2-Inch MIP by 1-1/2-Inch Socket White ABS Flush Male/Female Socket Union

Thanks!

Link to valve:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00269II66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to union:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038ER6VG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SPBV336YH2CX&coliid=I2P9GXIY3PYXLI

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.