Need help diagnosing bad SPA LEAK, before I shell over $2000 to have someone fix it

xemi

Nov 7, 2015
South Florida
My spa was draining 1.5" per day, so I hired a pool leak detection company to test my spa and pool.

They pressure tested all the lines and they appeared to be good. However, they found leaks near the drain and returns.

Specifically they quoted me the following:

Hydroseal Main Drain in Spa $695
Hydroseal Main Drain 2 in Spa (discounted) $395
Hydroseal Additional 3 Jets (discounted) 3x $295

Total cost = $1975, minus $100 if I schedule in 7 days = $1875

So they found that the two main drains in the Spa had leaks along the edges where the drain meets the concrete, and 3 of the jets also had similar leaks.

However, previously I had attempted to conduct some basic/crude leak testing myself. I used a pool leak repair solution, and found that it would always settle (and harden) in the plugged drains in each of the two main drains. Each main drain has two holes -- one is plugged using a threaded plug, and the other is open which goes to the pump. I was certain that leaks should be there, but red rhino thinks the leaks are in the cement adjacent to the main drain.

I've attached pictures of my main drain, showing where I believe the leaks could be, and where red rhino thinks the leaks are. As a first step, I'm still thinking of trying to replace the two plugs in each of the two drains.

1. Is it easy to replace those two drain plugs? Where do they lead to?
2. How do I replace these plugs? What tool do I use to remove? Do I just switch them off?
3. When I insert new ones, do I need to use anytype of threading compound?

Additional pics here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any other input would be appreciated. I'm confused how to proceed.

Attachments

• spa_main_drain.jpg
    spa_main_drain.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
The water always seems to go down below the rim of drain. What does this second hole typically lead to? Nothing? To the ground?

Is it possible to unscrew this and screw in another one, hoping it will stop leaking? (Assuming my assessment is correct and they are wrong?)

In areas with high water tables and lots of rain those often lead to hydrostatic valves. Sometimes they are only used when draining the pool as pressure relief. The plugs are removed when draining the pool to allow ground water to enter the pool rather than push the pool up out of the ground. There is a tool designed to fit those plugs available at plumbing supply houses.

In areas with high water tables and lots of rain those often lead to hydrostatic valves. Sometimes they are only used when draining the pool as pressure relief. The plugs are removed when draining the pool to allow ground water to enter the pool rather than push the pool up out of the ground. There is a tool designed to fit those plugs available at plumbing supply houses.[/]

Thanks for the info. I am in south florida, so I guess it seems likely that they could go to hydrostatic valves. I'm not sure what they are, but I will defn read up on that.

What tool do you recommend to remove and replace the plugs? I've been looking around, but there doesn't seem to be a specific tool for this....I suppose I could use a crescent wrench but when I try to use one it seems cumbersome and slips a lot. Don't want to ruin the shape of the square or break it. Any tool you recommend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.