Good Morning

Feb 28, 2017
Danbury,CT
Hi, I just installed my first pool at the age of 58. Yes it seems ridiculous to me also but my wife is a teacher and is home during the summers. With last summer being so hot and nice here in CT it would have been nice for her to have a pool to lay around. The pool was completed and backfilled at the end of November with snow on the ground. Most of the friends that we hang out with have pools also but the have the $$$ to just hire people to work on their pools. I have joined the forum to get advise because I am very handy, also an electrician, and do not have endless funds. So I appreciate any guidance that I can get here. thanks

Well Hey, Morning!

I'm sincere when I say it isn't crazy at all and you made a good choice to eductate yourself. We will glady help you every step of the way, and you'll find out it's much easier than you might imagine.

Zib,

3 years ago we bought our first pool in over 30 years at my wife's insistence and I've used it way more than she does. We're both in our 60's and find swimming good low impact exercise and a hot soothing soak in the spa really nice after any strenuous activity. Also the grand kids love it. Using techniques described here we've had a simple and very low cost pool experience as well. Our pool is always sparkling for us at a cost of under $10/month plus 20 min of effort per week. So my recommendation to you is just jump in (no pun) and let thee folks here talk you through their system. Get your test kit, follow the helpful advice of the wonderful experts here and you'll be off to low-cost, best-looking pool on the block in no time!

Best regards,

Chris

Welcome to TFP!

My story is similar, my wife wanted a pool, I didn't, we got a pool. Now, thanks to TFP, I love the pool and wish we had gotten it 10 years sooner. I definitely swim more than anyone else.

Thank you all for the kind words. We are in CT. The pool is still covered with a few inches of ice, that will hopefully be melting (tomorrow 70). I have 2 little giant pumps on the cover so little by little I am able to get the water off. It is a semi in ground, with most in ground, 18x32x 52" free form Radiant Metric pool. The pool was complete end of November. The filter wasn't ran, just put in storage. After the water went in we pretty much covered it. It is a muddy mess. The ground has settled and I will be bringing in a lot of topsoil this spring. Probably going to grow some quick growing grass and wait another year for ground to settle before putting concrete decking. When I get home later I will put up the specs on the pool and filter. I do however want to purchase a heat pump. Just confused about all the brands out there.