New Pool Build In Longview, TX

smankins

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
Longview / Texas
I think I am about to commit to this crazy idea and get going - at least get my money going away. We have decided to go with the 24' x 52" Doughboy Autumn Breeze because of the resin top rails and the price difference wasn't much at all compared to the Copper Canyon all steel model we were looking at. The top rail would be 6 1/2" vs 7" but the verticals are the same width. The Copper Canyon had a much better looking wall pattern but we plan to put a deck completely around the pool so that doesn't matter to us.

One of the concerns I had was the slope where the pool sits. Where we want the pool there is about a 2 ft. drop across the 24' width of the pool. The paperwork the pool store had on the builder they use mentioned extra charges for slopes greater than 1 ft. Someone from the pool store came and looked and said it would not be a problem but I wanted the actual installer, who is not an employee of the store, to see the site. I managed to get the builder (only AGP builder I know of in this area and seems to work exclusively for the pool store where we are getting our pool) out to see the site today and he said there would be a 25% upcharge on installation because of the slope (25% of $1950). I told him I thought that was pretty high for a little more dirt removal so we might change our location a little. We had planned on buying the pool in February (to get a discount) but scheduling the build for late April. The builder said if we scheduled in March they would forego the upcharge so I think we are going to shoot for late March now. I have to move a burn pile, fill in that same burn pile, move my yard fence back about 25' and a few other things before they show.

Another concern I have is location of the pool equipment. My electrical would come out of a detached garage and I was planning on putting the pump and filter on a slab right outside of it and run pvc piping underground to the pool. It would be about 55' to the pool. The water level of the pool would still be about 18 - 24" higher than the pump suction so that seems okay. I just wonder about the longer run. The builder said that was too far but they were thinking I would be buying the standard package from the pool store and need to be close enough to hook up my 3' hoses. It didn't seem as big an issue when I told them I planned on doing that myself, not them. I'm still riding the fence on that decision. I could place the equipment closer to the pool but then have a longer electrical run but I plan on having an outlet on the deck anyway as well as another service outlet near the pool (more than 10' away but less than 20'). The wire for bonding the pump would be shorter so there are plus and minus points. The builder said the same thing Doughboy did about bonding a pool with resin verticals, they said the end caps could be used to bond. At least they knew about bonding. I wouldn't have thought about it until reading through this excellent forum.

The pool builder said they don't use patio blocks under the vertical supports and have never had problems. We do have hard clay soil around here and they use a tamping machine to pack the ground so I guess that will be okay. Doughboy recommends pavers but does not require them for any warranty concerns. Oh, the pool builder said he has never looked at the instructions for Doughboy - I hope he was kidding. The builder has 32 years experience doing this and has built over 3200 of these pools for the pool store.

The pool store where I am buying this pool has a great reputation as does the Doughboy pools around here. My wife knows a few people where she works that have them, or their parents have them, and they have lasted for many years with no issues. They have been using these same builders for many, many years also. However, the pricing for their packages seemed high to me so I am going to get my own "stuff". I have decided to go with the Pentair dual speed 1 Hp Optiflo pump and the Pentair Clean and Clear 200 cartridge filter. The builder and the pool store both think I am crazy for going with a cartridge filter. I priced the pump and the filter at the pool store (they had to check since they normally don't sell the Optiflo pump and cartridge filters - they do sell the Pentair Dynamo pump/sand filter combo in their package) and the pump price was about $150 more than I can find elsewhere and the filter price was double so I will be getting these through the wonder of the Internet. Their package pump was the Pentair Dynamo 1 Hp single speed and the Pentair SD40 sand filter.

Oh, I almost forgot. I do have my TF-100 test kit in hand already. Ready to go on the pool chemistry.

I've rambled on enough for now with no pictures to sweeten the pot (I do see why everyone enjoys pictures) but I will have pictures in future posts as things progress.

S,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions... :lovetfp:

Great job on getting a good test kit up front. It will really pay for itself in no time. Just stay out of the pool store!!!

I would never get a single speed pump. Two speed or variable speed is the only way to go.

And as they say... if you don't have pics, we just have to assume you are lying... :laughblue:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

A few concrete pavers are the cheapest part of your build. I'd add them under the uprights. On bonding: Do your resin posts have like a half of an "A" frame metal leg jutting out behind them? Dirt: Don't let them haul all of it away if that's the plan. Keep some to fill back in and pack back down as they normally dig out an extra foot all the away around the pool and it WILL settle.

You are as bad as me! I got the test kit BEFORE I even ordered the pool! :crazy: but I wanted to make sure I could do it!

I will wait for my pictures. You should know a picture of where the pool is going will keep us for a little while so..........

Kim:kim:

I would never get a single speed pump. Two speed or variable speed is the only way to go.

I plan on getting a two speed pump. Still on the fence about where to place the pump, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I took some pictures of placement and will be posting them soon. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I made the commitment and bought the pool yesterday. Now I will just have to buy all the other associated stuff. The build date is scheduled for March 27. The builders will come out and place their temporary pools and some other equipment the Friday or Saturday before that and then off we go the next week. Now to move the fence and finalize equipment placement, etc.

WoodyP It looks like the verticals have the metal end caps and the bottom rail is metal, not resin, so the end caps should work for bonding. Is that what you were wondering? As for the dirt they don't haul it off. They will place the extra dirt where I want it near the excavation area and they will be back filling around the pool and leave a slope for water to run off. The pool dealer told us that Doughboy asked for these installers to come to their factory and do some instruction or demonstration since they had so many installations performed. I hope that all is good with them.

OK. I created an account in Flickr so let's see how this works.

The center of the planned pool would be one foot on the other side of the fence post in the middle of this picture. It worked out to be the halfway point of our back fence.

33005630902_ae62ffa8ff_c.jpg

This is looking back from where the edge of the pool would be and the skimmer location if I place the pump and filter against the detached garage (blue wall with the small air pump next to it). About 55'.

33005626652_788e497e89_c.jpg

This is the slope where we will place the pool. The center of the pool will be about at the third post from the left and one foot towards the camera.

32346782703_4fdd766b4f_c.jpg

And this is the "burn" pile and low area I want to move and fill in. The pool and deck won't be going over this are but the relocated back fence will.

33034511551_52de1818a0_c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, my plan to put the pump and filter next to my garage and run the plumbing to the pool (about 55') hit a snag. I had called the 811 one call before you dig number even though the pool was going in the back where there are no utility lines near the pool excavation. The line locators had been out in the distant past before so this was just for completeness. However, this time there is a new guy in charge of the right of way for a high pressure oil pipeline which goes through my backyard. This is a 20" line 38" deep. The suction and return water lines would be buried about 12" deep and go across this pipeline. I was told this would require a variance based on excavation design plans that meet their criteria (designed and signed by a P.E. probably) and then there could be a 6-8 month review process. Also, one of their representatives would have to be on site during the "excavation" - not the pool site but the water lines I want to run. I was told I could avoid all this by going under the pipeline by at least 2 feet. That would be putting the lines at least 82" deep! I told him that sounded like a lot more risk than just a little trench above the line. I also don't see how in the world this could affect anything at all. Someone new is in charge and flexing their right of way power muscle (or some other part of their body located behind them). This same company started cutting down and butchering trees that have been up a lot longer than this pipeline and company. I have been here over twenty years and never had any issues with this company until now.

So, I could go ahead with my plan, believing the field man told me what he had to but really thought it was ridiculous, and all would be safe. However, if this was not the case, they could raise a stink and make me remove the line later (he even mentioned the company could sue me) so I am going to plan B and putting the pump and filter out by the pool. I do not have to bury any electrical over their pipeline since I plan to run the electrical to a shed (which sits on top of the pipeline - has been there for years), put a new light in there (separate circuit) and then continue the feed underground out the opposite wall of the shed to the pool equipment. This means running electrical about 135' since I would put the pump and filter around the pool a little on the East side (East is down slope in the pictures above). At least I was already considering this so it is not like I had to come up with something new. If the shed wasn't there I guess I would have no choice but to dig a trench for plumbing or electrical over their pipeline (I guess I could relocate the pool to the front yard so I can wave at everyone coming down the road).

At least I won't have to up size the wiring too much. The pump is 120 V and this Pentair pump motor just requires a 15A breaker and #12 wire for runs between 101 and 200 ft. This leads to another problem, though. I will run this circuit from a sub panel in my garage which was installed when I replaced my septic system with an aerobic system in 2001. There is only one bus bar in this sub panel with the neutrals and grounds together and it was installed by a licensed electrician. I will add another bus and move wires. Hopefully other plans go smoother.

... This leads to another problem, though. I will run this circuit from a sub panel in my garage which was installed when I replaced my septic system with an aerobic system in 2001. There is only one bus bar in this sub panel with the neutrals and grounds together and it was installed by a licensed electrician...

This problem turned out to be not a problem. I was just thinking sub panel but this is actually coming directly off the meter outside so it is another main panel. No problem with the neutrals and grounds. My apologies to the installing electrician. It was a brain meltdown on my part.

An update on the suction and return line drama with the oil pipeline. Two days after the field man came out and gave me all the bad news (see post 12 above) the right of way gentleman in the local office here called me to ask some questions about what I had planned. I filled him in and he said he didn't think that would be an issue and he would submit the variance for approval. I mentioned what I was told about waiting for months, drawings, etc. and he said not to worry, he should have an answer soon but didn't think there would be any problems. Today (just looked at the time - guess it was yesterday) he called and said I could go ahead and run the pipes over their pipeline and he would be out next week with the paperwork to sign. One of their representatives will still have to be on site when I dig for the lines. I am glad I procrastinated and did not already order the wire.

I was reading your electrical plans and noticed something. You need at minimum 2 independent circuits out at the pool. The pump has to be on its own GFCI circuit and you need a separate dedicated 20amp GFCI outlet within 5 feet of your pump. You can accomplish that with a single 12/3 wire but you have to make sure the wiring is done correctly. I would consider going to 10/3 wired for 220v and put an outdoor breaker panel on your equipment pad. Its a lil more up front but will give you future flexibility if you want to add equipment.

CJadamec, I was going to go ahead and put another load center at the location by the pool and then run my courtesy outlet and other circuits from there but since I can put the pump where I want it I will still run from a new sub panel but this will be located in my garage. The pool pump would then be on the other side of the garage wall and the courtesy outlet and other circuits would be ran from the garage sub panel at a shorter distance. I agree about the flexibility.

On another note I just ordered some Pentair valves. This forum talked me into spending now and hopefully no regret later from not using the big box PVC valves.

- - - Updated - - -

kimkats, woodyp

Hopefully I get that paper early this following week. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.