Considering owner building pool in Miami, FL and need references

Feb 14, 2017
miami/FL
I just received a recent quote today and I'm a little shocked at what it came in at. The pool builder is charging about $77,000 and that doesn't even include any decking. I faced the same scenario last year when I was trying to build a two story terrace and GC's were quoting 50-60K. I'm in the middle of construction on the terrace as builder owner and I will most likely come in under budget of 25K. My savings have been huge and I feel I can get the pool I want and save money if I build it myself. I have been reading a lot of the posts on this forum and will like to see if I can get some recommendations on a pool engineer as my current engineer might not be suited for the pool. Also, on a gunite contractor, steel framing, and plumber. thanks for any recommendations.

Hello, welcome and good luck! Have you checked in with your local pool store and ask for recommendations. They may be able to put you in touch with a pool builder. Also once you do, be sure to get a list of recommendations from prior jobs, call and/or visit to see the work completed. How big of a pool are you trying to build? Have you gotten other estimates?

I've gotten quotes from three builders, VanKirk, Essig and recently Calypso. All three were north of 75k. I decided on a irregular straight lines rectangle-ish pool. My backyard is an awkward shape and a couple of the builders recommended a pool that ran along the shape of the yard to take advanagte of the shape as opposed to a free form pool. At the widest part it'll be about 21ft wide and at the narrowest it'll be 15ft. The length of the pool will be 35ft with a jacuzzi at the end the will be 7x7ft square.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.