New from Indiana - IG Liner replacement Help

Feb 20, 2017
Carmel
My pool was installed by Pools of Fun (Indiana) by the previous owners. When we had the pool inspected when we purchased the house we noticed then that the liner was extremely wrinkled. The homeowners who installed the pool said the liner was like that from the beginning when it was installed in 2009. We are now due for a new liner because there is a tear somewhere as we lost water each day last summer and now that it is winter the water level is low and my automatic pool cover is being tugged from the low water level. It is hard to find a good company to come out and replace the liner. I contacted Pools of Fun to give me a quote and since they installed the pool they already had the measurements and emailed me a quote. I found this thread because are trying to determine if we should go borderless on our new liner. Two questions:

1. What company did you use to replace your liner New2Me? I am afraid I know who you are going to say!
2. Is 8 years a typical amount of time for a liner to last or should they last longer than that? I am thinking that is not very long but am new to owning a pool.
3. Does anyone have any other companies to recommend for replacing our liner? My pool guy told me that POL mismeasured the liner when they installed the pool. He said that is why the wrinkles were so bad from the shallow end to the deep end. UGH!

Any assistance or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Peaches and welcome to the forum! Thanks for updating your signature. That will certainly come-in handy. Now that swimming season is rapidly approaching, there will be plenty of replies I'm sure. Reply to this post as needed to keep it active on the viewing boards and/or until such time you are satisfied with the feedback you receive from locals in your area. Best of luck to you.

Hi Peaches,
I don't have a lot of answers to your questions because we don't live in the same place. But I thought I would tell you my experience with our liner. We replaced our liner last summer in July.

The old liner was 20 years old! The main reason it had to be replaced was because we were losing water too. At first we didn't know there was a tear and thought it was maybe because the liner was so old. So we had them pressure test the lines just to be sure and everything was good there. When they removed the old liner, they found the tear. So that is why we were having the water loss. It was really time to replace it anyhow because it was so faded. Funny thing is that you didn't even notice how faded it was until the water was removed. Then it almost looked white!

Anyhow, like I said, we had our liner for 20 years. But I have heard of liners replaced after just a few short years or some lasting even longer than ours. So I think a lot of the liner life has to do with the installation. I was told that is the most important thing to make a liner last. And by the sound of it, with all the wrinkles your pool has, it was probably not measured correctly or not installed correctly. I also truly believe the way you take care of your pool (balanced water) has a lot to do with how long the liner lasts too. So good luck and just ask if you have anymore questions I can answer.

Sherry

The liner in my pool when I bought the house had come off track and was 23 years old.

They could not find the serial number to identify what size it was so they custom measured and made a new one.

It was a bit of a tight fit, but filled up with no problems.

Wrinkles indicate too loose of a liner or perhaps they didn't use a vac when it was filled.

I would go with a different company and get a new custom measured one if thats an option in your area.

The liner must fit the pool AND the water must be balanced! We can help with the water when you get to that point.

I would do as borjis suggests-get it measured and have a liner made for your pool. I would NOT use the company that did it last time. Why repeat history?

Kim:kim:

Thank you for your response. I need to set up my account to receive an email when someone replies. I appreciate your response and feedback. This forum is wonderful!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your response! I had a guy out today who said the magic words to me, that when he measures he takes off a few inches. I just posted a new thread because he is also going to pressure test the lines after he empties the pool to determine if it's the liner that is leaking or the pipes. I pray it's the liner! He suggested a new filter/pump option as well. He said we will only have to backwash our pool one to two times a season. We currently have a Pentair WhisperFlo and Tagehus Sand Filter. He suggests replacing with System 3 Mod Media which is also made by Pentair via their Sta-Rite company? Who knows how they're all intertwined! One owns the other I am sure!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.