starting my first slam

I have started my first slam. I think I already messed up or guessed well. My pool was really in bad shape. I have green and mustard algae. My cya was off the charts on my test kit. Tds is 3000+ and of ph 8.5 hardness was too high to continue wasting drops! I drained nearly all the water to start anew.

My new water test results were (pretty slam) CYA less then 30, TA 190ppm, CH 340ppm PH 7.8, TDS 550. I tossed 7 of 3 inch stabilizing chlorine tabs on my spill way from the hot tub to the pool to add a little chlorine but more to add CYA. My son accidentally added 2 bottles of bleach to the pool 242oz of 8.5% ( He misunderstood what i had told him). 24 hours later my CYA is 50 my FC is 20. Green algae is nearly gone. Water is very milky. According to the forum I need to raise my FC level to 29 for mustard algae. Pool math says to add 230oz of bleach.

Before I continue I want to make sure I'm on the right path. Please let me know if I messed up or Got lucky thanks in advance

I made an executive decision and added another 121oz of bleach. We will see where that puts me.

Here is what the pool looks like now.
314d18e876781393634a2bfe35b18a38.jpg

Nice to meet you via TFP. Good to have you here :)

First things first, the mustard algae treatment is done after the SLAM criteria are met. So just follow the SLAM procedure for now. Many people print that out to have it handy.

Did you reduce the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM?

No harm done :) and great job on the brushing. Look for any algae farms hiding around the pool (behind weir door, under coping, etc.)

The FC will slide down to SLAM level and stay focused on maintaining that level. If you brush a couple times a day, that will also help get the job done. I'm still wondering about the pH. You can't test it at high FC, but was it lowered before you started the SLAM? If not, what was your pH and TA before you started the SLAM?

Keep up the brushing! That will get the yuck up and out into the water for the FC to kill.

Use the SLAM chart for your FC levels. Do your best to not let the FC dip below SLAM level for your CYA.

Are you running your pump 24/7?

Are you watching the pressure on your filter? When it gets 20% over clean pressure you need to clean it.

Keep taking a picture a day looking down at your steps. That will allow you and us to see the progress. Your eyes will not be able to see the difference day to day.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the help so far. My FC is now at 23. It has dropped 2 since yesterday. My water is still very cloudy. My robot has been zooming all over the bottom. I can't see any green stuck to walls now only the yellow/brown mustard algae. I have my filter motor running at full speed, 2800 rpms.

0fa336d3ee2ebfcc59775d6183359b67.jpg

My TA is/was pre slam is 190ppm. My ph is 7.8 I had put that in my first post but I now realize it was not that clear so I rewrote it. I also see that I misread something. I thought my ph could be 7.8 How much of a problem is this?

I have been watching the filter. I cleaned it first thing in the morning yesterday because the pressure had gotten to high

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have been keeping my FC at 20-21 for the last 24 hours. My water is very cloudy still. Not much green to speak of. My brushing efforts seem to be in vain. I'm guessing the only thing left on the walls is mustard algae and there is a lot! My overnight FC loss was 2 ppm.

9e4a553ace372e88e98c8e1f6bc41885.jpg

0f3e50612a6a821d744f9f963942985e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I may be wrong here but I'm guessing Kim wants you to use a puck on those stains we can see on those steps. If they fade from rubbing a puck on them then it's likely organic. If the buck doesn't change the color, it may be metal stains.

I think I'm done hibernating for the winter.

Aimee!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: I am so glad to see you again!!!!!

She is correct. I want you to sit a puck on a spot for about 10 mins. and see what happens. If the water is not too cold to put your hand/arm in you can also rub the puck on a spot. Take before and after pics so we can see what happens.

Kim:kim: so happy to see Aimee! :hug:

eacedde012fd1a87e8b589b37c71f6cc.jpg

This morning my water is the clearest I have seen it yet. There is one minor problem. My cya has jumped to 80. I don't understand how this has happened and I'm beyond frustrated. I don't want to drain my pool again. I'm already going to get fined for excessive water use this month from the first drain. So do I need raise my FC level to coincide with my new CYA? Where did all that cya come from? I am at a loss.

I tried to scrub the stains and did not see a difference but I did leave a tiny chunk on my steps. When I moved it the brown had gone away. In the picture you can see the spot it was on right next to it.

26a8ba72d7ab72d6268cd84f45b344c5.jpg

Do the CYA test again, but do it like this. Make sure you are in full sunlight with your back to the sun, hold the vial waist high. Squirt the mixed water slowly into the vial just glancing at the dot. Squirt, glance, look away. When the dot disappears, write down (or remember) that number. Pour all the water back into the squirt bottle and do it again, the same way. Do it 3 times total, and average what you get.

If for whatever reason your CYA is really 70, it's not the end of the world. You will just have to manage your FC at the appropriate level and let rain and spash-out drop it over time.

I'll do that I actually just retest it and and got 80. I really wrote my post above to reflect that. My biggest question is where did it come from? And the rain thing will not work where I live. I am in the southern California Desert. It rarely rains here. I will need to drain my pool again. I'll just wait till the next water bill cycle

Did the rest test three times I would say now that the cya is 75

The only way CYA goes up is adding solid or liquid CYA (stabilizer) or solid forms of chlorine (di-chlor, tri-chlor) AKA "shock" or pucks. If none of that has been added since you first started SLAMming then I suppose you have to chalk it up to testing error.

The only way CYA goes up is adding solid or liquid CYA (stabilizer) or solid forms of chlorine (di-chlor, tri-chlor) AKA "shock" or pucks. If none of that has been added since you first started SLAMming then I suppose you have to chalk it up to testing error.
I scrubbed some of the algae on my steps with a puck. Some of the puck scraped off. I can't believe that that it would have raised my cya that much. When I fist started my slam both me and my son tested the cya a couple times each just to make sure. That being said maybe that's why my slam is taking so long. Maybe my cya has been this high the whole time. The bleach I'm using is my local grocery stores generic form of clorox. Unfortunately there is no info on the label as to what is in it. Could the bleach I'm using be adding the cya?

No, there is no CYA in bleach from the grocery store. Speaking of, are you sure it's just bleach, 8.25%, no splashless, scented, etc?

I have another idea. What happens if you do the CYA test with straight pool water, not mixing with the R-0013?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.