New Pool Build - How to start running AquaRite

Nov 19, 2016
North Augusta, SC
Hello,

I have done my own in ground pool build and it took me about 2 months.

Pool is now complete and I have pump/filter running, but have done NOTHING to treat the water. Hence it is very green and has some sticky gunk growing in the water.

I have a hayward Salt Chlorine Generator and AquaRite ready to turn on.

Questions
Should / can I treat with Shock before turning on the Aquarite?
Do I need to have the algae gone before turning on the Aquarite?

Any special chemicals to use or avoid in use with Salt Chlorine Generator?

Living in South Carolina, do I need to treat my water year round or is it ok if it gets green in the winter?

Suggestions please.

OH NO! Your brand new pool you worked so hard to build is green? I have a sad for you :(

Okay lets work this out a step at a time:

-your signature-please put in what kind of pool you have and it's gallons, what kind of filter and pump, add in the SWG, how you are testing the water

-do not bother turning on the SWG yet. It cannot clear the pool for you.

-you DO need to clear the pool before it gets too far out of hand. It is easier now with the cooler temps.

-you should either close the pool (we have a link on how to do it for next winter) or keep it open and clear during the winter. It is easier when it is cool. We can teach you how.

Now lets start with your test kit. Which one do you have?

You need to do a SLAM. Here is the link:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The most important part of the SLAM is M as in maintain the FC at the SLAM level for your CYA.

Once you get your pool clear we will work on teaching you how to keep it clear and looking like a jewel!

Kim:kim:

The one you want is the Taylor 2006...........it has the FC (free chlorine) test that uses the powder and can test for much FC than the 2005.

I will tell you I like the TF-100 better as it has more of the regents we use for the daily testing. It uses Taylor regents but is sized better for taking care of your pool the TFP way. There is a link in my siggy below.

Jeremy, hello again! I remember your build post from last fall. We're neighbors!

Your pool needs water testing to maintain the water quality (safety) which also helps protect the pool surfaces and equipment (and all that sweat you put into this!).
I would suggest ordering the TF-100 XL, along with the speed stir device (speeds up testing) both from TFTestkits.net which ship out of NC so you would get it in a matter of days if ordered today online.

Our weather has been unusually warm (darn, NOT good for the peach crops!) and if you let the green go on it will take longer to clear it up. What you need is a full set of test results (hence ordering that test kit) to see where your water is now, and a LOT of chlorine bleach. I find that the box of 3 jugs of bleach from Costco to be the cheapest for me. If you shop at Wallyworld you can look in the pool section for the 10-12% liquid chlorine there and compare prices.

Please read these links to get an idea of what you need to know to add chemicals and how to SLAM (clean) a pool up-
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process

Is your pool vinyl lined? Can you tell us anything else you have put in the water chemical wise?? For now the only thing you need is bleach but without the test kit you won't know how much.

Holler back neighbor!

Yippee :flower:

Thank you both. Happy to know we got neighbors on here.

I did order the Taylor 2006 and I have not put anything in the water at all. Fill it with house water to be able to run and test plumbing, which works wonderful.

I will get some bleach on hand, and let you know the test results when they come in.

Is there anything else I will need that I can buy already? I would love to have it clean by this weekend, is that possible?

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to learning how to care for this fun filled water hole.

Take and share a picture of your pool. That will help us know where you are.

If your pool is as green as I fear it is I do not think it will be clean by this weekend since you do not have your test kit yet :(

You CAN pour in a jug of plain, unscented bleach in the pool each day until your test kit gets there. I would run the pump 24/7 to help keep the FC (bleach) mixing up.

You also brush the pool once a day.

I am guessing you did not add any CYA (stabilizer) so you buy some of that. Get the powder stuff as it is quite a bit cheaper.

Use Pool Math (at the top of this page in a blue oval) to see how much CYA you need to get to 20. We do NOT want to add too much as it will make you need more FC to SLAM BUT you do need some to help "protect" the FC from the sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope. They do more harm than good. They are almost always so far off they tell you to add or remove when you needed to do just the opposite :(

Turn your pump on and add your bleach. I would also try to vacuum to waste. Go slow so you do not stir that stuff up. It will get worse after you brush but it is so needed to get the algae cover off of it so the FC can get to it to kill it!

Your pool is not that bad really. We have seen some that had tadpoles living in them!! We were able to clear them so yours will be easy!

Wow, that's marvelous looking and can only get better each day as you continue to add bleach while waiting to start your testing and normal care regime.

(And you say Costco had a sale? I must get over and check that out)

Now when you're ready to start up the SWG after the water is clear and sparkly, you'll want to have your pool water stabilized with CYA, and the FC provided with liquid chlorine first then let the SWG maintain that. They are too slow to bring pool water up to desired levels but once there they'll maintain just fine.

Our premature warm weather can't last so don't count on the SWG to work until the water is above about 60

Yippee :flower:

I have a question?

Do most people cover their pools and not treat anything all winter until they uncover it? That was my experience in PA, but I imagine it might be different here in SC.

If I would like to let it uncovered all winter, because it's nice to have the waterfall and lights when we sit out on our patio, but I need it to stay atleast algae free, is there a cheap way to achieve this?

Do I need to be pouring chemicals ($$) and testing it ($$) it now if I'm not going to be swimming?

The test kit did arrive last night.

Thank you for your advice.

It's your call. We rarely get long freezes (where the high doesn't get above freezing for several days) so you can keep it open year round in Augusta, or you can "close" it when the water drops to ~60. if you leave it open year round, uncovered, you will need to test and add from time to time, but as the water gets colder everything "slows" down. Algae growth, chlorine consumption, etc. You would need to add very little bleach over the fall and winter. (Your SWG won't work well in cold weather as YippeeSkippy mentioned)

Also, should we get a real cold week, where it never gets above freezing (super rare) you will need to run the pump/filter 24/7 too keep the water from freezing. Another annoying thing about keeping it open year round is keeping the leaves and other stuff out when you can't swim in it. That's my main reason for covering mine during the non-swimming season.

Let's see a full test with that new kit!

Hey everyone. I sorry for the delay. I got laid up with back pain and am just getting back to my pool project.

Here is what I've tested so far and would love to know your advice and my first couple next steps.

Pool was clear last week, but in the last 4 days has gone green. I've not started the aquarite system yet or put anything in the pool expect some bleach to clear it up.

alkalinity is less than 25 ppm. It only took one drop in 10mil to change color.
Calcium hardness was less than 25 ppm as well.
PH is 8.0 or maybe higher.
Saturation is 1.3

haha is it bad that me and my 2 year have started swimming in it already...

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.