Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean REVIEW

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Well I pulled the trigger an purchased a new Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean Item# 99996403-PC it was $669 delivered. I've had it for about a week and it's done about 4 cleanings. In a nut shell I'm satisfied. In-depth review follows.
Some history. I've done the hand vacuuming, gone through several Smartpool Nitro's, and one generic kreepy crauly. The hand vacuuming was a PIA, drag out the hose, vacuum, then clean out the big filter, repeat. Smartpool Nitro work well when they run, both units lasted about a season or so, pump motor leaked water into the housing, no more nitro. And the kreepy crauly is again a PIA just like hand vacuuming with the hoses and such.
I can say this guy moves quick. It moves much faster than the Smartpool Nitro, but the storage for what if sucks up is a much smaller volume, and the ports that suck up are also smaller.
NautilusCCPlus_4745-01-500x500.JPG

Showing the bottom of the unit. There are two inlets on the bottom about an 5/8 inch by about 5 inches. They are off set one on the left and one on the right side on the bottom. One pump draws water through both of them and the water exits the top center of the cleaner.
NautilusCCPlus_4754-01-500x500.JPG
The interior of A-frame structures are what catch the debris, so storage is limited compared to Smartpool Nitro. The unit came with two different sets of filters, one fine like a reemay fabric pleated filter, and one fine screen filter. There are 4 filters 2 per intake, they fit into an A-frame housing. The housings are interchangeable on each side (front/back).
NautilusCCPlus_4761-01-500x500.JPG

So far I'm satisfied. I don't leave it in the pool for extended periods, but the powersupply allows it, you can set on the power supply once a day, every other day or every 3rd day.

Just wanted to mention that I use mine in an above-ground pool and works very nicely. Very easy to clean and operate.

Hi Shane, Welcome to TFP!
it comes ready to go. No assembly required. Plug and Play.

If had my standard Nautilus going on 4 years now, and not any issue at all with mine. The Nautilus models are very good cleaner for what you pay for it.

Are you still satisfied? I just purchased one. I just pulled it out of the box. Do I have to do anything to it before I run it in pool?

Noticed you've had this a month now. How's it working out so far?

My MX8 is falling apart after 6 years, literally, so its time to replace. I'm running an enclosed rectangular pool with some steps on shallow end and a step in the deep end. 11k so a bit on the small side. Thoughts with your robot? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

No problems with mine. I run it about every two weeks to clean out the leaves from the oak tree. I use the very fine filter so that I can get a nice filtering of the pool. Water is great, robot works great, and pool is sparkling.

With the baskets being inverted (vs. the Discovery with a top loading debris basket) does any of the captured debris want to come out when the water is draining out while pulling it from the pool? I'm guessing there is some sort of check valve type scenario at play to keep that from happening inside the two rectangular openings on the bottom. But I've not seen it demonstrated anywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bmore,

The Nautilus Plus is a top-loading robot. However I do extract my robot right over the skimmer so that any debris that falls out with the water draining goes into the strainer and is filtered out.

Bmore,

The Nautilus Plus is a top-loading robot. However I do extract my robot right over the skimmer so that any debris that falls out with the water draining goes into the strainer and is filtered out.

Look at HD being so smart "over the skimmer". That's brilliant!

Gotcha on the cartridges loading into the unit from the top, but debris from the bottom for the NP. The upright basket on the Discovery seems more logical but likely its nitpicking at that point.

I'll have to say I ordered one and received it today and this is my first robot after the wife and I have been hand vacuuming it all of last year. We had a few leaves in the deep end so I left them till the nautilus came today, I plugged it up and dropped it in and I have to say I was impressed. It got everything clean in the first cleaning, I don't know why I hadn't already bought one before now. But so far I give it a A+.

Well the Dolphin came in yesterday with a caddy. Dropped it in, ran a cycle, and then took it out to clean the mesh screens. The amount of junk was incredible. Ill run it today with the filters in.

Pool is now cloudy beyond belief. Didn't realize how much stuff my MX8 didn't pick up.

Dumb question, but when dropping chemicals in the pool, best practice I'm assuming is to remove it until you're done? Wanted to increase FC yesterday but was afraid to do so while it was cleaning.

Well the Dolphin came in yesterday with a caddy. Dropped it in, ran a cycle, and then took it out to clean the mesh screens. The amount of junk was incredible. Ill run it today with the filters in.

Pool is now cloudy beyond belief. Didn't realize how much stuff my MX8 didn't pick up.

Dumb question, but when dropping chemicals in the pool, best practice I'm assuming is to remove it until you're done? Wanted to increase FC yesterday but was afraid to do so while it was cleaning.

If you're adding chemicals to the pool as recommended and you're not bringing the FC to shock levels, you can run the robot in the pool. If you're adding bleach or muriatic acid, do so in front of a running return while the robot is in the other side of the pool and it would be fine.

The manual states not to run it with FC more than 4 don't know if this is just a precaution or might void warranty?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.