Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Disclaimer: Not sure this is the best place to ask, so admins feel free to redirect!

What does anyone know about a Pentair Bioshield UV system? I didn't find anything when I searched the forum.

We were looking into converting to a SWG before opening the pool this season. The pool company we've been using was steering us away from the high cost of converting saying we'd still have the hassle of regulating our pool's tendency towards high pH. He initially suggested getting a larger tab feeder (we already have smaller one but didn't use it last year thanks to this site). After coming back from a big pool show he's now recommending this Pentair BioShield UV system. I'm not really sure what it does and how it compares to a SWG. Our chief concern is ease. We have 3 young NEEDY kids, my husband's home 1 day/wk, and while daily testing only takes a few minutes it's time I currently just don't have. Add the time it takes to constantly stock up on LC, the fact that I can't get the lids off the carboys myself, so I have to time everything for Sundays when my husband is home...I need to simplify our current situation.

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/sanitizers-bioshield-uv-disinfection-sanitizer-481.htm

For a high use indoor pool, it would be a good choice.

For an outdoor residential pool, it wouldn't be a good choice (in my opinion).

A SWG would work for you. It's very little maintenance and the ph rise is caused by a combination of low ph and high total alkalinity. Salt systems have virtually no effect on pH. Get your pH and TA right and your pH will remain stable for weeks.

Ditch the UV and get an SWG. I assume you have an outdoor pool and their effectiveness is not good. You still must maintain a chlorine residual in a UV pool.

I am not confident your pool company understands properly how UV systems work.
and while daily testing only takes a few minutes it's time I currently just don't have
Yikes! that's not good. Can you test three times per week? Pools cannot be ignored completely.

Can you test three times per week? Pools cannot be ignored completely.

I can definitely test throughout the week, we just rain into problems with having to test AND dose LC every single day. It would get late, I'd say I'd do it 1st thing in the AM, the kids would be up at dawn, and I can't leave them alone in the house while I"m dealing with the pool..blah blah blah - it just gets away from me. We only had 1 algae bloom last summer (otherwise the pool was stunningly lovely all summer!), but then dealing with that the BBB way was SO TIME CONSUMING. Yes, I realize it's my fault for getting too lax, but I also recognize my limitations at this stage. Hence looking for an option that gives us more flexibility. I'm not looking to ignore our pool, I just don't want to be shackled to it.

With LC, we were requiring a good 1-1.25 gal each night. It got too bulky to get individual jugs (picture me with a infant strapped to my chest, holding the hands of a 2 & 4 yr old while trying to push a cart full of gal jugs through the Walmart parking lot. Twice/week.), so we found a place that does carboys. In addition to not being able to get the lids off myself and having to wait for my husband to be home to unscrew, I can't tip it over safely until a a few gals have been used, so again my hands are tied till my husband is home. We tried a pump, a spigot, but even those solutions had big drawbacks. It still sounds like SWG would be the better solution for us.

:hug: lets start with that right out the gate! You DO have your hands and more full!

The SWG will be purrfect for you! It will do most of the work for you with no tears or demands other than testing as you learn your pool's needs. Once you learn your pool's it will be even easier.

Can you post a full set of test results? Maybe we can help you dial in your levels to make life even easier while you get the SWG installed.

Here is a link talking about SWG:Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Let us know how else we can help.

Kim:kim:

Yeah, an SWG will take all those things away and make pool water management a breeze for you.

You'll still need to test 2-3 times weekly and you'll have to understand what the tests mean to make any adjustments, if necessary. That said, you will begin to know your pool and find yourself unburdened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.