Florida Build: Project Complete...Officially Pool Owners!

Re: Florida Build: Fresh Meat :)

Oh my gawd I love your pool tile. What company is it from? What color? I'm in Central Florida. :D

Edit to add: Glass tile all along the water line is fancy! We're only doing it on the spa.

I was going through some pictures today and came across the tile sample!

50108876012__722F7A08-9FA8-4729-B607-2D926290E728_zpsowaj1uxj.jpg

It's been a long 2 weeks. Crooked control joints, lackadaisical screen company ugh! I have been :brickwall::rant:for 2 weeks now! The pool company stands by their work and will be fixing the joints without a problem...why are the joints crooked you ask? something about a loose saw blade...frankly sir PB, I don't really care how it happened...just fix it! As for the screen company...after months of having the schedule, they showed up with a white screen and we ordered bronze! I am not sure where the breakdown in communication occurred with that one...anyway that screw up put us behind schedule, as we were estimated to fill on 3/13. This is the same company that held up the permitting process at the beginning because they didn't have their you know what together. This was not the recommended screen company by my PB, but they were 1k less which was too significant of cost savings to ignore! I figured I would use them since the competing PB's all use them. I came back from spring break vacay last night with the kids to a finished screen. It looks good overall but there is one area I am not happy with by one of the doors. There is a slight gap between the door and the frame. I'm not sure if I'm nitpicking because I'm so annoyed...but I'm a bit concerned that the gap will allow those tiny gnats free passage. I know a screen enclosure isn't 100% bug proof but I definitely don't want to make it easy for them either. Okay rant over. Here are some pics, the sprinkler system was re-routed and sod put down in the areas that needed it after the dig. Even with all the drama for the past couple of weeks, I am still pleased with how it's coming along.

IMG_0790_zpsj4goesi6.jpg

Am I nitpicking?

IMG_0794_zpsxto5j7hf.jpg

Good Switch Placement

IMG_0795_zpsrmefb1mu.jpg

IMG_0789_zpsisqsrsri.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsxyveklw8.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsqo4ylhnm.jpg

That looks awesome! I like the roof shape. It really adds to how big is looks!

Sad about the concrete cuts being messed up-------a loose saw blade?? Then tighten it up DUH! I guess you are lucky to not have any blood from that thing coming loose and taking off!

Gap by door-I would worry about that as well. I would see what the installers have to say about a fix. THEN I would look into find some small weather striping/door sweep kind of product to put in that area. I would not attach anything until you have tried some different ones to see which one looks the best. I am thinking matching color weather strip will not stand out and block the area.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! It does feel nice and open on the inside. I thought it would feel a little cramped given the small deck space, but I am pleasantly surprised! The screen builder will be out on Monday to assess the gap and update me on the fix options. In the mean time I am trying to remain :calm:

Looks great. I am surprised that I do not see any tension cables for the screens. Perhaps it is because the distance between the supports are short. Did you think about adding kick plates in each or the corners for electrical outlets and water spickets?

If you look at the corners of the screen you will see a "K" bracing technique. This is used instead of the tension wires. Most people in my area have the K bracing instead of the tension wires. If there is a storm we have been advised to cut the screen so that the wind can pass through the cage. The kick plates are a good idea...but then we thought that we may not need them given that we already have a faucet and 2 electrical outlets. We'll live with what we have for now and determine whether to add to it in the future. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you for the explanation of the K bracing technique. I have never seen this technique :goodjob:

If you look at the corners of the screen you will see a "K" bracing technique. This is used instead of the tension wires. Most people in my area have the K bracing instead of the tension wires. If there is a storm we have been advised to cut the screen so that the wind can pass through the cage. The kick plates are a good idea...but then we thought that we may not need them given that we already have a faucet and 2 electrical outlets. We'll live with what we have for now and determine whether to add to it in the future. Thanks for the advice!

Nice looking plaster job. I can't wait to see the color of your pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice looking plaster job. I can't wait to see the color of your pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Brentr! I have to say pool start up is absolute torture!!! Especially when it happens on the weekend :shaking::shaking::cry::cry:. My kids are like dogs chasing their tails, they don't know what to do with themselves. They are excited it's almost done, but disappointed they cant jump in just yet. Hubby loooves the color...heh heh :cool:! Totally feeling validated right now for following my gut and upgrading the color of the plaster. I still haven't gotten around to taking some shots with my "good" camera just yet, but here are a few shots with my phone to show you the color of the pool. I will post some more once they complete the deck and the landscaping is in. That should be happening over the next 2 weeks!

IMG_0887_zpsb2m3gkpj.jpg

IMG_0882_zpsavqh9dry.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsm5lmcbmo.jpg

I'm so happy for you! That's absolutely gorgeous! Take good care of that plaster and it will stay that beautiful for years to come! Ask the screen company if the gaps reduce the strength/resistance to wind. If anything about it doesn't feel right, ask them to make it right, if they don't, ask for it in writing that it is 100% installed correctly. Then get a second opinion and nail them. Here's hoping all goes well though. Most business people mean well, especially going into the summer in a neighborhood where referrals are worth it.

I'm so happy for you! That's absolutely gorgeous! Take good care of that plaster and it will stay that beautiful for years to come! Ask the screen company if the gaps reduce the strength/resistance to wind. If anything about it doesn't feel right, ask them to make it right, if they don't, ask for it in writing that it is 100% installed correctly. Then get a second opinion and nail them. Here's hoping all goes well though. Most business people mean well, especially going into the summer in a neighborhood where referrals are worth it.

Thank you. The screen issue is resolved, they came out and tightened up the bolts and caulked the area. Apparently they "overlooked" that part at the end. The enclosure is under warranty for a year, so if I have to:whip: I will!

- - - Updated - - -

Great consistent finish! Congrats. Curious, did they grout the marker tile or tile the voids with plaster/finish?

Thank you! They did grout the marker tile, and they did not put any of the plaster over the grout...Why??? I am nervous. Is that not the right way?:-(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.