Florida Build: Project Complete...Officially Pool Owners!

Re: Florida Build: Fresh Meat :)

Hmmmm...control joints? that's a really good question Kim, and one I never thought about until you said it. I will call the PB in the morning and find out!

I did ask about the watering and just like the pool shell, they said it wasn't necessary.

Control joints need to be sawn within 24 hours of the pour, as soon as they can be cut without raveling the green concrete. It is unusual that he didn't even tool any joints in. Tooled joints are no guarantee you won't have random cracking so that's why it is best to saw as well so you make sure that there is enough of a weakened plane that the inevitable cracking doesn't run out of the joint. I've seen plenty of instances where a crack formed alongside of a tooled joint.
Placing Joints in Concrete Flatwork- Why, How, and When

Florida Build: Fresh Meat :)

So I have all Jandy equipment and I am probably going to be adding a heat pump before the year is out. Do I specifically need to keep it all in the family, or is it okay to go with a different brand?

Also... I would appreciate recommendations on # of BTU's for a 12k gallon pool. Thanks!

b6d57673b39bba7013a55ee4ae0c27f6.jpg

51a37928ad969b34b1a5a0b684acce47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to let you do a search about heaters. Use the search box at the top of this page. You will get MANY hits. Weed through them to see what works best for you.

Kim:kim:

I did a few searches, but didn't find any real info on whether it's beneficial to go with the same brand as the other equipment. From what I have read so far, the bigger the heater the faster it heats the pool. It seems like quite a few people who have heat pumps are not necessarily hung up on the brand. Soooo, I guess I will keep reading!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Most heat pumps will work for your size pool, however the larger ones will heat the pool faster. Look at the COP, the higher the number the better efficiency. We went with a Heat Siphon 109,000 btu and are very happy with it. It can heat up our pool about 1 degree every 45- 60 mins, however we only use it on the weekends during the cooler months as we are not home in time during the week to use our pool.

I don't have a heater so am of no help LOL that is why I had you search :roll:

Good job so far! Keep looking until you find what helps you.

Oh wow! How does the water temperature work out for you during the year? I was debating whether I would need a heater in Florida, but a few coworkers of mine and my neighbor who have pools seem to think it's needed. I would love to hear your take on it!

Most heat pumps will work for your size pool, however the larger ones will heat the pool faster. Look at the COP, the higher the number the better efficiency. We went with a Heat Siphon 109,000 btu and are very happy with it. It can heat up our pool about 1 degree every 45- 60 mins, however we only use it on the weekends during the cooler months as we are not home in time during the week to use our pool.

Thanks for the info! It sounds like you don't think that sticking with the same brand as the pool equipment is necessary. Honestly, I didn't even know what the COP was I had to :google: it...but now that I know what it is, I will definitely look at the COP when I am shopping...what a great tip! Thanks a million!

I am very much a wimp and do not get in the water unless the water is warm and the air is hot LOL I would love to have a heater but that is a no go right now. Now my husband...........he gets in every day :crazy: burrr or warm LOL

Daintilus try looking on craigslist, sometimes you get some really good deals or look at the pool stores as they may have a pool heater that they ordered for a customer who never claimed it.

After talking to many of our friends who have pools and the different PB's we had out for quotes, we opted to wait to see if we would even have the need for a heater. They can be added later so the advice we were given, and are following, is to live with the pool for an entire year and see if we really need a heater and for how many days/weeks and decide if the cost is worth it then. Just like with our water features... PB is confident we won't need a booster pump but says we can add easily if we end up wanting it but doesn't want to buy it just for the sake of buying it without testing out the need. We are further north than you with colder temps esp in the winter. My friend who is a total cold water wimp doesn't get in hers, that is in full sun, until around May, and won't stop until about Nov/Dec depending on the weather. Also, even if they had a heater, she wouldn't be outside in the water unless it was over 80 air temp anyways lol.

That was what we were planning to do initially...live with the pool for a year and see if we even needed to add a heater. However, my neighbor kinda got in my head a little bit about adding one. I am from the Caribbean originally and prefer for it to be 96 degrees in the shade :sunny: all the time! I think I'm going to play this one by air though. Thanks for info, very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Daintilus try looking on craigslist, sometimes you get some really good deals or look at the pool stores as they may have a pool heater that they ordered for a customer who never claimed it.

Ahh yes Craigslist...always a great place for good deals. I haven't found any yet, but I will definitely keep looking. Thanks!

From the Caribbean? What Island? I am from the Caribbean also. When we first put in our pool we thought we could wait however we could not get the temp of the pool over 84 degrees( This is cold for us warm bodied humans) partly due to the pool screen which filters out UV light etc. When we put in the heater we found our pool to be much more enjoyable and now we do not go in the pool unless it is 88 deg minimum. We love the pool to be between 88-91 deg. In the hotter months we keep it at 88 deg and in the cooler months we keep it at 91 deg. Believe me you will appreciate a warm pool.:cheers::cheers:

Florida Build: Fresh Meat :)

From the Caribbean? What Island? I am from the Caribbean also. When we first put in our pool we thought we could wait however we could not get the temp of the pool over 84 degrees( This is cold for us warm bodied humans) partly due to the pool screen which filters out UV light etc. When we put in the heater we found our pool to be much more enjoyable and now we do not go in the pool unless it is 88 deg minimum. We love the pool to be between 88-91 deg. In the hotter months we keep it at 88 deg and in the cooler months we keep it at 91 deg. Believe me you will appreciate a warm pool.:cheers::cheers:

A fellow islander!!! :salut: So you definitely understand the need to be warm all the time! I feel like your description above would be me fairly quickly! I am from JA, what island are you from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.