Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking care of my pool

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Taking care of my pool

I will be ordering the TF kit as you mentioned. I was about to head back to the store, to have them test the water and tell me what to add to bring down the chlorine, i turned the knob down. I will try by best to refrain from the store water testing. Also do you order your acid from a online store, I understand the bleach you use to poor in as needed for chlorine, I use the tablets with the dispenser. My kit i have been using is a 5 drop tester as you mentioned.
    New to this pool stuff....
    Built 9/2016 -9.5k 42k IG Concrete pool/spa - travertine coping/deck - All Pentair Equipment - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter-Master Heater 400,000- Pump Intelliflo vst - color plaster - rebel cleaner- Auto -tablet-Chlorinator -Screen logic connect- variable pump -

2. Back To Top    #22

Relax. A little time here reading our important pages and you'll be amazed how easy it is. No need to do anything to lower the FC. It will drop soon enough on its own under the sun. What you're experiencing at the pool store is one major reason TFP exists to begin with - saving money. Instead of dropping big bucks at the store, simply order on-line from the link in my sig a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C). You'll have it in a couple days and be able to test water on your own anytime of day. It's easy! Most importantly, you know for sure what your water needs without sales pitches. Remember, the pool store is in business to sell - plain & simple.

Easy instructions for today: 1) Get the right test kit ordered; 2) Add about 1/4 gallon of regular bleach to your pool each day; 3) read the links below in my signature (especially Pool School).

Once your kit arrives, post a full set of test results and you're on your way to becoming a liberated pool owner! Believe me, you'll save MUCH more money with the right test kit than taking pool store advice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #23

TFP Guide

Do yourself a favor and don't make that last trip to the pool store. Take a step back and heed the advice, read the links above (then read them 3 more times slowly), get one of the two recommended test kits along with a Speed Stir and rely only on your testing and the knowledge here.

FC will drop on its own. It's not too high and it could be too low. You have no idea without the proper test kit.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #24

I buy regular (generic) bleach form the grocery store. I get my acid from either Home Depot, Lowes, or .... I hate to say it .... the pool store. But that's okay. I know what I want, I get it, and I leave. No gimmicks. Your 5-way test kit should be good for testing pH. Make sure to do that each day for the health of your heater. You want pH to be around 7.5 and never over 7.8. If it gets dark purple, use that acid to lower it.

Also, start getting used to looking at the Poolmath calculator (link below) as well. Along with the TF-100, that's one of your most important tools. Once your eyes get used to the screen and how the information is listed, you'll use it almost everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

Acid examples:

Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):

- - - Updated - - -

Notice on the acid, it states "20 Baume and 31.45%". That's the strength you want.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #25

Thank you, I will be sure to start reading all of this information today, and I will take your advise and read a few more times. I am not to sure what a speed stir is?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, i was not aware that this can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot, I need to pick up some today. I will be sure to look for the following "20 Baume and 31.45%" .
    Built 9/2016 -9.5k 42k IG Concrete pool/spa - travertine coping/deck - All Pentair Equipment - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter-Master Heater 400,000- Pump Intelliflo vst - color plaster - rebel cleaner- Auto -tablet-Chlorinator -Screen logic connect- variable pump -

6. Back To Top    #26

Here is a pic of the speed stir. It's on the same web site as the TF-100. It help you mix chemicals in the sample tube very easily and efficiently. It will be especially valuable in Vegas where the water can be quite hard (CH testing).
    853.jpg

7. Back To Top    #27

The guys in this site can definitely get you pointed in the correct direction.
    Jumping from try this......then try that.......is most likely not going to get your water balanced.
    First and foremost get the Taylor K-2006 test kit, with the 100 test kit you will quickly run out of reagents used in testing, especially for the CYA test.

CYA is Cyanuric Acid. The sun can use up your chlorine as fast as it is generated on hot sunny days, adding CYA will prevent the sun from neutralising your chlorine. The best way to adjust your CYA is with granular CYA which you can buy from the pool store or wherever you can buy pool chemicals close to you.

You will find that if your test kit requires you to add Baking Soda or Calcium Chloride, they dissolve very easy in water but the CYA does not readily dissolve in water. DO NOT put the CYA granules directly into the pool. The guys here advise putting it in a sock and suspending that in front of a return jet and periodically squeeze the sock.

What I have found is you can put the CYA granules in a bucket of water and use a stick to stir it well, after stirring will turn milky white, slowly pour of the white liquid in front of a return, you will still have many granules in the bottom of the bucket, repeat the process. After doing that a few times, then fill the bucket again and let it sit for some hours or overnight, then do it again but do your best not dump undissolved granules into the pool.
    I use the same method for Baking Soda and the Calcium Chloride.

Explain your issue as best you can, add photos if that will help.
    To add photos here, many use Photobucket, I find postimmage.org easier to use and it is free and no sign up, very easy to use. If you need any help with posting a pic, they have a link in here to do that or just tell me you need help and I will get you there.

Then you need to do the full range of tests and post your results and you will find the Experts and Moderators here will advise you what to do.

2 years ago, I was like you, I knew nothing of maintaining a salt water pool. I did A LOT of reading on the internet which led to me finding this site.

I have only had a few small issues with my pool and the guys here advised me what to do.
    My water is now completely balanced and not only clean.........it shimmers, it is so clear.

Having BALANCED water and just using the typical color match by adding 5 drops to check Chlorine and PH is a Night and Day difference.
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #28

Poolcruz, we are also in Las Vegas. If you want any hands on advice/training, I would be happy to help. Thanks to finding this site while researching our build we have never had to set foot in the pool store. I (female) LOVE testing our pool and giving it only what it needs. I test Ch and PH every day (most days haha) and run a full battery of tests each weekend. This is our first pool and I was very nervous, but It's so simple you really won't believe it once you've done it even one time. Our pool was completed in June 2015. Our pool is quite big and Home Depot gives us some looks when we stock up on chlorine and acid for a few months at a time. Lol

~42k IG Concrete, Gray Plaster, All Hayward, VS 3hp x2, 400k Heater, Cartridge 150GPM, Color Logic LED Lights, Faux Rock Waterfall/Grotto,

9. Back To Top    #29

I forgot to mention that the daily testing only takes about 5 minutes and the weekly full set just about 30 minutes. Less time than your drive to the pool store and back.

~42k IG Concrete, Gray Plaster, All Hayward, VS 3hp x2, 400k Heater, Cartridge 150GPM, Color Logic LED Lights, Faux Rock Waterfall/Grotto,

10. Back To Top    #30

Wow ff702, what a nice offer

Poolcruz, we all pretty much felt like we were when we found this site. But it doesnt take long and and the information all makes sense and you become the pool at your house cos the pool is sparkly blue, always ready to swim and cheap to run
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

11. Back To Top    #31

Quote Originally Posted by ff702 View Post
    Poolcruz, we are also in Las Vegas. If you want any hands on advice/training, I would be happy to help. Thanks to finding this site while researching our build we have never had to set foot in the pool store. I (female) LOVE testing our pool and giving it only what it needs. I test Ch and PH every day (most days haha) and run a full battery of tests each weekend. This is our first pool and I was very nervous, but It's so simple you really won't believe it once you've done it even one time. Our pool was completed in June 2015. Our pool is quite big and Home Depot gives us some looks when we stock up on chlorine and acid for a few months at a time. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually mistyped. Our pool was completed in June of last year (2016). It's significant because that's how easy it is to learn to test and become the expert of your own pool.

12. Back To Top    #32

I would like to get some advise, I am glad to find someone that has a pool in Vegas. My pool was completed in August of 2016. I have removed the pool tablets out of the dispenser and I have turned it off until the chlorine lets up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

I am excited that I found this site, I need all the help I can get. This is a little stressful.... I know I can learn this.

13. Back To Top    #33

You CAN learn this. I KNOW how you are feeling! I bought the test kit BEFORE I bought the pool I wanted to make sure I could do it. It is easy and fun!

Do you have the test kit yet? Let us know as soon as it gets there.

Don't let your chlorine level get low. Add liquid chlorine/bleach each day to keep it up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #34

I have turned the Auto-Chlorinator off, and I have removed the tablets. I have tested the pool and the Chlorine is still at a 5. I am hoping with the rain today and tomorrow, it will help burn some of the chlorine. I and my PH is seems to be a little high. I am ordering the tester tonight and hopefully i receive it early next week.

15. Back To Top    #35

FC of 5 is nothing to be worried about as far as being too high. Depending on your CYA value, it could actually be low. Refer to this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart Even if you are a unit or 2 above the target FC, that is not a problem
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

16. Back To Top    #36

I saw your new thread in the Intro. part of the forum that you are ordering your test kit today! SWEET! That is the most important thing you can do to take good care of your pool! I can't wait for you to get it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #37

It rained over the weekend, is it common to have little bugs in the pool? The pool was filled with yesterday evening, i cleaned them up and today were not as much but still enough. Is this due to the rain or am I missing something?

18. Back To Top    #38

We do not have bugs as a result of the rain in our pool. With your water balance being off, it seems as though they may have some sort of food source in your water. Getting the chemicals straightened out and your water clean and clear should be the answer to all the issues.

19. Back To Top    #39

If your water is balanced they might show up but they will not live through it. I push my FC up some when I see one just to be on the safe side. We have a pond behind the pool. That is where mine come from.

Are they little black bugs that could be named "boat swimmers"?

20. Back To Top    #40

We get springtails in our pool, they're tiny little bugs that don't seem to be bothered by chlorine and come in after a rain. We spray around the pool deck and that seems to help.
    11k vinyl in ground pool with SWG, DE filter, gas heater & auto cover.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast