Spa jets blow too hard with air blower on.

Jan 3, 2016
Allen, TX
Last year we got a new in ground pool and spa. We have been using the spa a lot this winter but if you turn on the air blower you can't sit in front of the jets because they blow so hard it hurts. So we have been using it without the blower but I'd like to be able to use it. Someone we know said we should turn down the water pump flow rate when the bubbler is in use and we tried that but it didn't seem to affect it. Someone else mentioned changing the nozzles on the jets. I've tried searching online for nozzles and jets but I get all kinds of hot tub stuff and can't figure out how to find stuff that would work fo or in ground spa. My husband thinks we might need a variable speed air blower. The one we have is a Silencer 632022. If anyone can shed some light on blowers or nozzles and jets I'd appreciate it.

Can you post a picture of the nozzle? I'm not an expert, but on my pool they are using Waterway Poly Storm threaded gunite jets. They are available in several different nozzles and I'm told some of these are softer. The plumbing uses the waterway assembly: 229-1110. If you search this number, you should get some hits. These accept different thread in poly storm jet internals. The instructions claim you can reduce the water flow by turning it clockwise, so that may also be an option if you have Waterway jets.

If you're handy with PVC, a saw and some glue, then you could easily rig up the blower so that it is mounted on a TEE fitting. Then, you can split air flow between two different pipes and rig up a simple three-way valve to dial in the exact amount of air-flow you need. Once you get the setting right, there shouldn't be any need to adjust it at all.

Can you post a picture of the nozzle? I'm not an expert, but on my pool they are using Waterway Poly Storm threaded gunite jets. They are available in several different nozzles and I'm told some of these are softer. The plumbing uses the waterway assembly: 229-1110. If you search this number, you should get some hits. These accept different thread in poly storm jet internals. The instructions claim you can reduce the water flow by turning it clockwise, so that may also be an option if you have Waterway jets.

I couldn't get a picture to attach from my tablet. The nozzles are just plain eyeballs though. We took one apart last night and they look just like the pool returns but with a larger hole in the eyeball. It's just an empty hole in there with the nozzle removed so we are thinking now that we don't have any jets. Which is probably the problem. Trying to figure out now if we can put some in.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're handy with PVC, a saw and some glue, then you could easily rig up the blower so that it is mounted on a TEE fitting. Then, you can split air flow between two different pipes and rig up a simple three-way valve to dial in the exact amount of air-flow you need. Once you get the setting right, there shouldn't be any need to adjust it at all.[/QUOTE
This is an interesting idea.We will keep it in mind if we can't figure out how to add jets.

I think the use of standard eyeballs is fairly common. The Waterway jets require a deeper wall which is not always possible. You might try to replace it with eyeballs with larger openings...this should reduce the pressure coming out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.